GPS Recommendation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTwister

Hey gang, I plan to do some fishing off my Sea Doos in the bays off the Texas coast (specs and reds). Was thinking of getting a GPS unit for navigation, marking hot fishing spots, etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Brian

Could have sworn I posted to this question earlier, did you ask in more than one post????

Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 model. Do NOT get the 10 model as it is more based on a Lat/Long type screen and not in color.

The 30 does altitude as well but cost about 90 bucks more than the 20.

The 76 series listed above is the series just before the eTrex. Both are good, eTrex is newer version.

The 30 does altitude as well but cost about 90 bucks more than the 20.

That's an important feature fishing off the coast of Texas!!

I'm so sorry, that was just too easy not to drop a dig. Good luck in your search. There are some good phone apps as well for cheap to suffice until you find the right GPS. Navionics apps for iPhone and a waterproof case are cheap solution.

As mentioned above, there are some very good phone apps.

If you get a water proof case and a quality holder it would work fine.

RAM mounts make fantastic holders. I have one for my eTrex that goes from my jet ski to my bike. You loosen the clamp and it opens the bracket enough to come off the monting ball.. Super nice system. Not the cheapest though.

I'm currently looking at the Humminbird PiranhaMax 196ci, which is a GPS Chartplotter/Fishfinder combo for $169 at Walmart.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/604336?product_id=a0e655f3bf59fa840167ce5e3a51a5d7

Short of having any first-hand experience with this particular model, it would seem to be a bargain. The main drawback I can see is that it doesn't have the ability to manage waypoints externally on a computer using either USB connection or SD memory card.

Just my two cents.

I would suggest starting with what you want to do with the GPS. If there is a particular waterway you travel most, or if you plan to use it in a particular region of the country. Then look at maps.

Some people want to use it only for navigation. Others want to use it for navigation and depth. I use mine for depth for fishing, but also to give me a general idea of depth for navigation. I hate moving around on a new lake and not knowing about that potential unmarked sandbar in the middle of the lake.

This particular model may do just that but it has no detail to the maps, no depth lines or depth contour maps and it has no ability to add them. So I think I would shy away from it. Hummingbird spent a ton obtaining Lakemaster. And now all new units have the ability to add, if not come pre-loaded with the lakemaster maps.

I would look for a unit that can take maps. Or go search for the maps you like and see which GPS models can use them. Once you find that, then you can look at the directions and find the ones that you can load easily with little hassle. It sounds backwards, but the application is driving the hardware, not the other way around.

Good luck!

1st year GPS: Lowrance H2O with Lakemaster SD card in the summer, Redpine Mapping for Snowmobile trails in the winter, LEI road maps for the motorcycle

2nd GPS: Garmin Nuvi for the car with lifetime map updates. Redpine mapping for snowmobile trails in the winter, Hope to use it on the bike as well

3rd GPS: Apple iPhone 4s, Navionics Marine and Water for lake maps and contours, Polaris Snowtrails for the winter, and "greatest Roads" for motorcycle trips.

There are lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back