Fuel Pump?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

neophyte

Hey guys,

Was out on the weekend hauling the kids around tubing when I lost engine power. I tried restarting and it started briefly then cut out. Tried a few more times but couldn't hold idle more than a couple of seconds. Towed it to shore and tried another start, no ignition, just engine turning.

Would this be indicative of a fuel pump failure?

While back at the dock I turned the key to on but not start, I couldn't hear the pump prime the system like it usually does. Instead I heard a clicking coming from just aft of the pumpIMG_0341.jpgIMG_0343.jpg

The rapid clicking was coming from the Siemens part pictured.

I'm assuming the part labelled SAE J1171 is the pump, what is the siemens part and what does it do?

Suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks.

The little box is a relay. It could be bad.

BUT................

The electric pump only runs while "Cranking" the engine. So, if that was bad... it still wouldn't cause the engine to shut down. In your first picture... if you follow the hose from the top of the pump... back to the engine block... that square thing is the main low pressure pump. It's a pulse pump that is driven from the engine. I would take that apart, and check it.

BUT.............

In the vapor tank... there's a float, and a needle/seat unit. It could simply be stuck. If it's stuck... fuel doesn't flow into the high pressure section.

So... if you look at your first picture... there's a brass screw in the bottom of the tank. It's toward the left of the picture, on the bottom of the tank. It's (visually) just to the left of the red collar on the throttle cable. Take it out, and see if any fuel comes out.

OK, I did as the Dr. ordered. Took out the brass screw and "blue" fuel came out.

What should I do next? Look at the square pump? What am I to look for when I take off the square box of a pump?

Thanks for your patience and knowledge.

Kind regards,

Neo.

OK, the blue is your oil. But was it thick like oil? Or was it thin like fuel? AND... how much came out? (basically, was the tank full, or was it just a trickle?)

Here's what I would do...

1) Change the 2 filters. One is the big spin-on, and the other is the fitting on the bottom of the electric lift pump. (Where the fuel line from the tank is hooked to)

2) While the fuel feed hose is off (changing the filter) make sure you can draw fuel up the hose. A small leak will keep fuel from flowing.

3) Once the new filters are on, and the hose is hooked up again... I would have a helper crank the engine, with that drain screw out, and see if the system is pumping fuel up to the tank. (Leave the lanyard off, and you won't have spark to start)

4) If you do get fuel up to the tank... then check the high pressure side for pressure. If you look at the top of the vapor tank, you will find a Schrader valve. (like an air fill for a tire) Put a pressure gauge on that, and see what you get.

Run down that list, and we will move on. But... if it all checks out... it could have simply been a plugged filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back