fuel locked

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bajaman123

Premium Member
Premium Member
Got my 2000 RX back together after the carb rebuild...pulled the choke, started cranking it, and it turned over many times then knocked a bit, so I pulled the plugs, turned it over and the cylinders were FULL of fuel, I mean...gas went everywhere. Now I am questioning if I just over-choked it or is something else wrong? The carbs passed all the pop-off tests just fine, used the original springs and per the service manual it was suppoed to pop between 19 and 23, and it did so religiously every time I tested it with a wet seal.
I've never flooded it before. Weird.
Thoughts?

Has to be stuck needle and seat to flood with that much fuel.

Did you test the carbs for leak down after putting them completely back together?

Yeah...held pressure just fine per the manual and your instructions.
Gawd I don't want to pull those fawkers back off! :mad:

It's the PTO side, m'fer is still pumping fuel out that cylinder even with the gas shut off Not sure what in the hell I could have done, but you have to be correct, the only way to get that much fuel is with a stuck needle.

I had one do this and when I took it apart there was a small bristle from like a toothbrush stuck in the seat holding the needle open.
To this day I have no clue where it came from.

By gosh, I am getting this down pat now, lol! From 'ski to bench, 23 minutes. And...the seat O-ring was leaking like a sieve! I did the pressure test and it failed. So I poured oil in the seat/needle valve and was rewarded with foamy bubbles. So...my bad, I had new seats and needles and elected to NOT put them in because it passed the pressure test...lesson learned. New seats and needles in, no leaks, pressure holds.
Once again man...your expertise and experience save the day...I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it! Much respect.

OK, the machine is back together and started and ran fine after it cleared out the excess fuel. I'm planning on doing some 'strapped-to-the-trailer' in-lake fine tuning once the weather clears here.

However...and you guys are going to shake your heads on this one...whilst I did have a leaking O-ring on the PTO carb when I pulled them off the 2nd time, I realized today when reinstalling that...I had inadvertently hooked the pulse line from the engine to the fuel tank line the other day!
No WONDER it had so much fuel in the cylinders!

I have done some bone-headed things in my 45+ years of "mechanic-un", but this ranks right up there...o_O

OK, the machine is back together and started and ran fine after it cleared out the excess fuel. I'm planning on doing some 'strapped-to-the-trailer' in-lake fine tuning once the weather clears here.

However...and you guys are going to shake your heads on this one...whilst I did have a leaking O-ring on the PTO carb when I pulled them off the 2nd time, I realized today when reinstalling that...I had inadvertently hooked the pulse line from the engine to the fuel tank line the other day!
No WONDER it had so much fuel in the cylinders!

I have done some bone-headed things in my 45+ years of "mechanic-un", but this ranks right up there...o_O
It happens. It's not a perfect world. Cheers to figuring it out though.

Back