Fuel level problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nman729

So here we are, another new boat owner has a problem with a Gauge. I tried jumping the Gauge wires at the sender unit and the Gauge reads full when jumped (otherwise it reads empty all the time). I replaced the float with a new one. And I also re soldered the f1 fuse and sealed it. For some reason I do not get any movement on the Gauge when I reinsert the sending unit with the hoses unhooked. However when I check the ohms and slide the float back and forth I get some movement on the ohm meter but it doesn't stay at a certain resistance long enough for me to tell what the ohm reading is. So if I have the float at different placed on the baffle it doesn't read anything but if I slide the float I get movement on ohms. Any ideas?

No ideas from anyone? There is a guy on eBay who says he can rebuild the sending unit. I may send it off to him? Opinions?

His rebuild is a new float and f1 repair, that's is. There's nothing else to the system, except the gauge. You check the resistance at the full position and the empty position for the baffle. Does your baffle pass the full/empty ohm test? Again, not worried about the gauge, just full and empty ohm reading on your meter.

Well that's the weird part, I don't get any readings from the meter at full, empty or any other level. The only time I get any ohm reading is when the float is actively moving. Maybe I am doing something wrong with my meter?

Are there any other fuses on the board that could be bad? Or could my board in the baffle be bad all together?

It could be the baffle itself if you're not getting a static reading.

Are you testing it out of the boat, not hooked up to anything, no connectors, like on a work bench.

I have tested it in the boat with the connector and on the bench with a connector. But I haven't tested it without the connector to rule that out. Maybe I should try that next. Should I cut off the connector and test bare wires?

Yes, I have tested it without being connected to the boat at all, I tested the ohms at the connector. There are 3 wires leading from the connector. The black one is obviously ground. What are the other two?

Just a quick followup, I think my F1 fuse fix was the issue, didn't have it soldered all the way. Always check your work before you put everything back together! Also, I made a video of my fix. Hopefully it will help others with the same issues!

[video=youtube_share;RqpcLjyIMvA]https://youtu.be/RqpcLjyIMvA[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back