Fuel Gauge Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBGMann2

Hey everyone,
Well I'm working on my boat and half way though last season my fuel gauge stopped working. It's the sending unit inside the tank, i've been told that the magnet in the sending unit drops and make's it read E all the time. I ground tested the gauge and it's good. I'm doing some other work on the boat and figured that I should order that part too. Just wanted to make sure i'm ordering the correct part. Im looking at the Microfich I think I need the Baffle Pick up? Can anyone tell me if i'm right it is a 170 dollar part that I'm sure I can not return! The boat is a 1995 seadoo speedster with twin Rotax engines. Thanks everyone

KCR357:

You may want to PM him the info, since the web site auto-edit's a link.

IBGMann2:

There are 3 things that go wrong... and they are all in the sender.

1) the magnets fall out

2) the float sinks

3) the fuse pops.

Order a new style float, and pull the baffle. Then, replace the float, and check the fuse all in one shot.

Re: Kcr

Thanks for the link... But Dr. Honda is right it is disabled. I have already read that fix for the baffle though. I tried to take baffle out over the summer and it's a pain in the a**. I think i'm going to have to unbolt the tank and tilt it, maybe even remove the Electric box mounted to the back rest of the boat just to get it out. Not unless you guys know a better way... I figured I would just put a new one in and save myself the trouble, of if it doesn't work and having to pull it out again and breaking something else! It is expensive though... But i really don't like not having a fuel gauge.

Hold On

SeadooSource dot com sells a float replacement which is hard plastic instead of the foam original - highly recommend. Easiest way to get it out is loosen the electrical box, yes its a pain but not terribly risky.

Thanks for the link... But Dr. Honda is right it is disabled. I have already read that fix for the baffle though. I tried to take baffle out over the summer and it's a pain in the a**. I think i'm going to have to unbolt the tank and tilt it, maybe even remove the Electric box mounted to the back rest of the boat just to get it out. Not unless you guys know a better way... I figured I would just put a new one in and save myself the trouble, of if it doesn't work and having to pull it out again and breaking something else! It is expensive though... But i really don't like not having a fuel gauge.

Just remove the hoses(and mark them so you can replace them) the baffle should slide out, at least thats what I remember from my speedster, you may have to push the baffle towards the stern and pull up and out.. :)

Ok I will try again to take out the baffle. I would be nice not to spend 170$ on the fuel gauge.
thanks

$170?!?!?!....

Buy it used, check Ebay, or post a wanted add in any of the for pwc sites or here, probably get it for $50. I always check the used market first, seadoo uses the same parts in the PWC so there's ton of used stuff available. But it's probably the fuse within the baffle which is an easy fix, do you test the baffel?

If you send me your contact info I'll get the link to you. It's a really simple, takes me about 5 minutes and it's free if you don't need a new float.

re

actually here's a short version-Find the side of the circuit board with the resistors on it(pic 2). This is the side you will cut. Using a dremel/whatever, cut out a 1*2" opening where I did. I leave one of the top to bottom cuts almost cut the whole way through, but leave just enough for a hinge so it's like a door. You will see the tiny fuse(it's the size of a broken off pencil tip) solder it off and run a strip of solder in its place. Check the resistance with the float in place. If it's good, grab a zip tie and weld the opening shut. I use a propane torch. Let it cool and cut off any extra plastic that is higher that the surface of the baffle since it's a tight fit with the fuel tank.

Attachments

• DSC05988.JPG
    DSC05988.JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC05989.JPG
    DSC05989.JPG
    581 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05991.JPG
    DSC05991.JPG
    645.3 KB · Views: 63
KCR357 Thanks for all the info. If you have more info on that baffle repair my e-mail address is IBGMann2@aol.com. Like Dr. Honda said it's eather the fuse, float, or the magents fall out. I haven't taken the baffle out yet how will I know if the magents are out? Thanks again for all your help.

KCR357 Like Dr. Honda said it's eather the fuse, float, or the magents fall out. I haven't taken the baffle out yet how will I know if the magents are out? Thanks again for all your help.

You will have no problems telling if the magnets are out. If the bottom/filter end of the unit is still attached securely, the magnets will be flopping around the inside of the unit. Once out, you can remove the end cap with a thin screwdriver (just pry it open). You will then be able to get the float out at that point and look at it to see if the magnets are inserted in it.

Djredman99
So if the magnets are out I need to buy a new baffle right? There is no fix for that.

No, you would just need to buy a new float. The float only costs ~$10.

OR

You could attempt to reattach the magnets, but I would just buy a new float.

Got it thanks, i'm sure once I get the thing apart I will know more about what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

KCR357 Thanks for all the info. If you have more info on that baffle repair my e-mail address is IBGMann2@aol.com. Like Dr. Honda said it's eather the fuse, float, or the magents fall out. I haven't taken the baffle out yet how will I know if the magents are out? Thanks again for all your help.
The link pretty much just has the same thing I posted, same pics and whatnot. If you need any more info, let me know. Like I said though, it's a really straight forward process.

The link pretty much just has the same thing I posted, same pics and whatnot. If you need any more info, let me know. Like I said though, it's a really straight forward process.

Thanks alot for the help! Now I just need to get started digging the boat out of the snow to put it in my garage to start the work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back