Fuel Additive

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi,
I've been hearing alot of talk about a product you pour into your fuel tank called SEAFOAM. Anybody know anything about this stuff ?
Thanks, Dennis

Dennis, I did some research on Sea Foam, (the brand) and found it to be a stabilizer, a cleaner a de-carbonizer carburetor cleaner, and will help your engine if it has fuel related problems. It's formula is mostly for marine applications. It can be added to the fuel at a ratio of 1oz. per gallon of fuel or in pre-mix at a rate or 2oz. per gallon. 1 pint treats 25 gallons of fuel. it can be added directly in to the throat of the carburetor. If the motor won't start it can be used as a starting fluid. This company claims it will clean up the upper end of any two stoke, cleans injectors, it removes moisture, sticky rings, rough idle, and restores performance. It can be used in small 4 stroke engines, 2 stoke engines, and diesels. It workes instantly just by adding it to the fuel or directly into the carb or spark plugs holes.
The company warns, it does NOT replace the use of 2 cycle oil.
I know lots of people sware by this product. I have never used it, as i perfer to run my machines and to do maintaince to avoid this type problem. I would use it to stabilize the fuel if my gas powered 2 or 4 strokes were to be sitting idle for any period of time, and not used.
Karl

Octane boost is a good way of making sure your fuel hasn't gone stale, when its been left for a while.
As the fuel looses its octane rate.

I found this to be a problem on a race car my mate bought.
It stood for 5 years without being started or driven.
They played with the timing for 3 days. Until I told him about this natural occurance.:rofl:

These fuel additives are a good way of cleaning parts without strip down.
But I wouldn't use all the time, as moving parts cool and slide easier with a bit of carbon on them.

Fuel Additives

Thanks for the input guys,
I too believe the is no substitute for proper maintenence. I find that alot of people get "additive crazy" which, in my opinion, is a waste of money and sometimes does more harm than good.
Thanks again, Dennis

Additives!

The only additive I'd recommend that anyone use is "fuel stabilizer". That's because when the research and development engineers designed these engines, they kept in mind, what people who bought them had general access to.
I agree with Dennis, there is no need to add anything to your fuel. One more note. There are some that use a fuel injector clearner that they think they need to keep their injectors clean. Well, when fuel injection just came out and only a select few people could afford it, then they needed to keep them clean with and injector cleaner. Now, that 99% of vehicles on the road today have injectors, the petroleum companies add an injector cleaner to the fuels before they are shipped out. So, there is no need for any additive in fuels today. Just use the right octane recommended by the manafacturer and you'll be just fine. Less is best........one of my many mottos. :cheers:

Snake oil

I have used Seafoam in my ski and car applications (see avatar).

It never made any difference.

I was attempting to have to keep from rebuilding carbs and hoped that the additive would help me make it through the season. And in both instances, it didn't. Ended up with 2 new carbs in the ski, and a new carb on my car.

It really felt good putting it in there making me think I was doing some sort of cheap maintenance, but in the end, I still had to pull out the wrenches...

You must of got shorted too!

Gosh Scott, I returned my bottle of magic fix-all before I used it, because the company forgot to include the magic wand...:ack: :rofl:

i have used seafoam in all my engine, cars, seadoos, and lawnmowers, its great it helped alot with throttle response and helps clean carbon build up off the pistons and valves, it helped clean the carbs put on my lawnmower and my seadoo, i use it in the gas tank and oil tank and every year i let the engine suck a quarter of the can into the motor while its running i mostly use it for a fuel stabilizer do a search for Seafoam on google and it will take you to there home page where it gives you tons of info on Seafoam

Seafoam?

I must admit, I don't know much about this seafoam product. There have been a couple members who have said they liked it. Here again, this is all to a consumers preference. For the reasons 93XP, you say you use seafoam, as a stabilizer, carbon build-up remover, I'd ask you to do one thing. The next time you fill up your tank with fuel at your local station, read the placard that are normally pasted on the fuel pumps. Most, if not all fuels, have the same cleaning and stabilizing additives in them. So you might wonder if your paying for the same product twice....
I use Chevron fuel, not becaue of preference, because it's the only service station in my neck of the woods. On the placard, the corporation describes what they add to their fuel to clean your engine, coat your bearings and remove carbon build-up, all while cleaning your injectors as it's being used. Techron is one of their primary additives, along with other detergent products that are meant to prolong the life of your car.
So for me, I can't justify the extra cost of some "STP" injector or fuel stabilizer product, when I'm getting if for free!.......
Just my opinion XP, and I respect your too!.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I like free things..lol

So for me, I can't justify the extra cost of some "STP" injector or fuel stabilizer product, when I'm getting if for free!.......
Just my opinion XP, and I respect your too!.......

Free...than I want a refund on all my gas...:ack: I think it's included:rofl:

I have used seafoam in my expedition and in a friends boat that had been setting for 2 years and when we took it to the lake she swore that it had never ran that good befor and we had 4 adults in the boat, awesome throttle response and engine idle. I won't guarantee this product but I have used it in other engines before with awesome results. I am curious to see or hear about someone using it in the rotax.

It won't bother the rotax engine, it is to stabilize the gas and keep the solids stable in the petroleum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back