"Front Fuse Block" MPEM? Which is it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatOne317

Hello fellow Speedster owners... I'll begin by saying I just aquired a '96 twin 717 speedster. I have never owned a jet ski boat or any other water toys... However I raced two stroke dirt-bikes for about 10 years, so I at least have some knowledge of two stroke engines and how they work... In fact I traded a 2,003 TTR-125 dirtbike for this '96 speedster, so I got a really good deal... Anyway, now that you have some background, I am wondering about the "Front Fuse Block" the one the boat came with looks as if it has literally been on fire... Obviously i have to replace it, I have found very few on Ebay, and as I'm sure you all know they dont come cheap and are discontinued by SeaDoo.... I have the ability to build a new one as my brother and Best friend are electronics engineers, I myself have built some fairly involved circuit's myself... However, in order to do that I need a schematic, and I'm hoping someone here can help! (please contact me if you have one)

On another related note, I am wondering if that front fuse block is acting as the computer for the ignition of the boat? I've read a lot of posts and some contradict weather the front fuse block is the MPEM then some threads say the MPEM is in the back Electrical panel... I just dont know whats what... I am ordering a service manual which i'm certain will explain a lot of this, does anyone recommend a specific manual that goes into better detail about the 96 Speedster? I especially want a manual that shows all the wiring diagrams and voltage specs if at all possible...

I also read a post about someone who re-built the front fuse block and had everything right except for the required neutral rev limiters, is there any truth to the neutral rev limiters being a part of that front fuse block or is that something else that is controled by the rear electrical box?

Sorry for such a long post, I just have a lot to figure out about this electrical system, and want to get on the water soon!
Thank yall so much for any help you can offer! It will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!

You can become a premium member here to download the appropriate manual, but you can also search for them.

FAIK, the MPEM is located in the rear electric box and controls the RPM limiter. Extreme caution must be used when dealing with the MPEM as there are no direct replacements for them. Do not jump start the boat or charge the battery with the battery connected to the electronics.

Good luck as these guys are friendly and will be able to help you with any issues you run across.

Thank You USAF_Pride

Welcome to the forums!

You can become a premium member here to download the appropriate manual, but you can also search for them.

FAIK, the MPEM is located in the rear electric box and controls the RPM limiter. Extreme caution must be used when dealing with the MPEM as there are no direct replacements for them. Do not jump start the boat or charge the battery with the battery connected to the electronics.

Good luck as these guys are friendly and will be able to help you with any issues you run across.

I appreciate the help, I really didn't see why the rev limiters would be in a fuse block up under the hood where the guage cluster is at myself... However, Ive seen stranger things in stranger places... The front fuse block does look like it has some intricate circuitry involved, considering it melted parts of the back side of it off and I can see through to the board.. I'd really like to devise a way to rebuild that part myself since it is $300 just by itself, I will most definitely not try to jump start it or charge the battery as you instructed! I would like to seperate the starters from the rest of the circuits and at least check compression on the engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back