Forgot To Screw-In Drain Plugs Before Launch-Engine Compartment flooded

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

Dumb. Late at night I arrived in Parker, AZ, temperature 115. First ride since last October.

Unloaded the Jet Ski's for the night.

Next morning, although the Kawi's would crank, they would not start.

Upon removal of the seat I saw the engine compartment was half full of water, a few inches below the carb, but covering the electrical box. Water did not reach batteries, nor did water enter engine.

It was apparent that in my haste to unload my Kawi 1100 STX's, I forgot the drain plugs were left open.

I loaded the Kawi's on my trailer, drove to a steep hill to drain the water.

I let them dry out for a few hours, then both Kawi's cranked over. We rode them hard for two days, then this afternoon, after a ride in the early morning, with temp at 115, one cranked over intermittently several times, then would not crank over.

The other Kawi would not crank over. Both acted as if the batteries were dead. Both have 12.3 readings, so they check out okey dokey.

I opened the electrical boxes and both were 1/4 full of water, wires submerged in water. I mopped up the water and am letting them sit in the sun to dry out.

QUESTION: Am I diagnosing the problem correctly?

I am figuring that since they ran for a few days after being submerged in water overnight, then water accumulation in the E boxes is causing a bad connection somewhere. Right?

I doubt I could have ruined anything, right?

My idea is to head to Wal Mart, fetch me some electrical spray to clean the connections, then re-assemble. Am I on the right track?

Suggestions welcome, other than calling me DUMB, which I acknowledge.

No water entered the engine.

On the right track..

Getting the engines running and up to temp while riding is a HUGE target. It gets all the water that is in the hidden crevices to evaporate. Thus,,, no damage to the engine, bearings ect ect.

E-boxes hold water well. You will need to get these dry and then check out the connections for corrosion.

Was this salt or fresh water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Mod, I knew I should have stated I was NOT in salt water; I only dunk my Kawi's in fresh wata.

A couple connections on my E-box were damaged, so, the o-rings let water inside. I am gonna caulk them up when I get back to Dodge.

The boxes were 1/4 full of water and the relay looked pasty ,so, I am off to Auto Zone to get me some electrical cleaner and vasoline to grease the connections.

Do ya think I could have damaged anything in the E-box, having being exposed to water? I can't see how, but, that is the reason I am here.

Thanks for the prompt reply Mr. Mod.

E-boxes tend to survive a dunking with no issues other than corrosion type issues. Disconnect the battery before you start spraying things as even though it is an electrical contact clearer item, it is still liquid and will allow for connections to happen due to being a liquid. I have also used 97% alcohol and poured it into the electrical connections and what not. It evaporates and takes the residual moistures with it.

You might want to check the gaskets on your E-boxes. They should be waterproof and should not fill with water. Also use dielectric grease not vasoline on your electrical connections.

Lou

To expand on what Lou stated. Don't use Vaseline as it is a Petroleum based product. The Petroleum can break down wire insulation and is not designed the same as dielectric grease which does not carry a current from wire to wire when the Petroleum product may.

I think I found da' problem: Solenoid/Starter Relay.

Shorted the solenoid/starter relay and it cranked right over.

From what I have read. early Kawi 1100 STX's are notorious for going bad.

All solenoids seem to be a weak link on PWCs.
I didn't realize you had an issue. I read your post as a staement,, Like, "This is what happened, It cranks, what do I need to do to dry it out,,,"
Sorry about that.

You do know that this is a Seadoo forum, most members including myself are not that familiar with Kawasaki jet skis. Some of the same principles apply to both Seadoo and Kawasaki but specific mechanical or electrical problems are a mystery.

Lou

You do know that this is a Seadoo forum, most members including myself are not that familiar with Kawasaki jet skis. Some of the same principles apply to both Seadoo and Kawasaki but specific mechanical or electrical problems are a mystery.

Lou

Yep, Lou, I an am aware I am on the Sea Doo forum. Before I bought my Kawi's, I owned two 93 GTX's for ten years.

IMO, there is much more relevant, competent advice on this site than any other I have come across, thus, I stay aboard and was glad the SDF has a "other than See Doo" section.

E-boxes tend to survive a dunking with no issues other than corrosion type issues. Disconnect the battery before you start spraying things as even though it is an electrical contact clearer item, it is still liquid and will allow for connections to happen due to being a liquid. I have also used 97% alcohol and poured it into the electrical connections and what not. It evaporates and takes the residual moistures with it.

Ha, ha, I like your suggestion of soaking the connectors in 97% alkie.

A few years back someone her, or elsewhere, opining that Kawi solenoids were inferior, laid out an explanation how to rebuild a solenoid with little effort, thus saving $$ purchasing a new one.

Now that I have returned home, am embarrassed over my lack of paying attention before I launch, I am gonna try to locate the Thread.

sounds like your on the right track, after nearly sinking my yamaha years ago I changed one part of my post ride checklist, I stopped taking out the drain plug, I STILL check mine before every launch, even though they haven't been out in 5 years. I also am anal about checking everybody elses when we hit the launch location, i've saved a couple of guys from making the same mistake.

Out here on the West Coast, a "mussle" that hid on a third world ship that docked in the Great Lakes, jumped ship, and without papers, (hmmm, sound familiar) made its way to the Colorado River, clogging pipelines along the way.

Now, whenever PWC's cross AZ/CA borders, inspectors check PWC's for the darn mussle. Inspectors require PWC'ers to unscrew the drain plugs and leave them unplugged for a month.

Even though this was my first trip back to the River since last October, I should have known to check the drain plugs, but, late at night, in my haste to get em in the River, I overlooked that procedure.

Dumb!!!!!

Out here on the West Coast, a "mussle" that hid on a third world ship that docked in the Great Lakes, jumped ship, and without papers, (hmmm, sound familiar) made its way to the Colorado River, clogging pipelines along the way.

Now, whenever PWC's cross AZ/CA borders, inspectors check PWC's for the darn mussle. Inspectors require PWC'ers to unscrew the drain plugs and leave them unplugged for a month.

Even though this was my first trip back to the River since last October, I should have known to check the drain plugs, but, late at night, in my haste to get em in the River, I overlooked that procedure.

Dumb!!!!!

2-3 years ago when I had my Yamaha 1200lx I did kinda he same thing was in a hurry to get on the water and get moving left both plug out put I water took car to parking jumped on went ripping across the water then started bogging down and leaning to one side pulled seat cursed like a sailor jumped off the back and put them in and then flew back to dock and dragged back in on trailer to drain. I think many have been there wanting to admit it or not :)

I got into "unlazy" mode, fetched my mult-meter, opened the E box to check my solenoid.

Like Big Lou related earlier, Sea Doo's and Kawi's, (and Yami's) work similar, but, can be quite different.

In this case, I found that the SD and Kawi solenoids were significantly different in design and to my surprise, the boys up North made a much more "shade tree"mechanic user solenoid than the boys across the pond in the land of the rising sun.

In this case, to replace the Kawi solenoid one will need not only a 10mm socket, but also a soldering iron, in contrast to just the 10mm socket for the Doo.

Anyway, to make a short story long, the solenoids are fine, so, IMO, after being dunked in water overnight and still working, I, unlike others here or maybe elsewhere, have nothing bad to say about Kawi's solenoids.

What I did find, however, is corrosion on the pins in some of the plastic connectors, particularly the connector that houses the wires from the start switch to the solenoid.

In my case, because one pin in one of my Kawi's was defective, (pulled out of the connector), and in the other Kawi one mini connector came of the wire, I will have to fetch me a pin extractor tool (ebay-$8 + 9$ for shipping-rip off) and a pin crimping tool from Harbor Freight.

Why is it tasks always take much longer than anticipated?

Nonetheless,

UPDATE:

Before popping open the E-Box, I noticed four of the joints and caps were broken that shield the electrical wires. That is what allowed water to enter the E-box. (Probably the result of not using a sealed battery, thus allowing acid to drop through the batter box onto the E-Box)

I pulled all the connection apart and some were corroded, as well as the solenoid connections.

That is where the "fun" began. Weird connectors! I was introduced to the term "Molex" connectors, which required using a couple of special tools; 1) Molex connectors; 2) Molex crimper, and 3) a Lisle Pin Extraction Tool Wire. Fortunately all of them could be found on Ebay.

The connectors were not the same size, so, I had to carve out the plastic connectors.

Cleaned out the E-Box, connected all the wires and vola, both Kawi's cranked right over. Left for the River for a week with no problems.

I made this same mistake about fifteen years ago and learned never to unscrew the drain plugs unless I immediately screwed them back in after cleaning out the hull.

Now, some eastern European mussel has made its way into the US, contaminating the waterways of many lakes. In response, as expected, the government over reacts and now checks PWC to ensure the drain plugs are left open after use.

I complied, got home four hours later, at night, put the PWC's in the garage and forgot about them for a few weeks until I found time to clean them. Forgot about the drain plus being open.

This time, it did not happen. Although it is against the law in CA to plug in the drain holes while PWC's and boats are in transit, I said "go jump in a lake" Mr. Government. I am not going through this crap again. As soon as I left the Agriculture check point I pulled over and screwed in the plugs.

My skis only go in one lake, so, I if I caught a mussel in Parker, it is going to be returned there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back