First oil Change?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben97816

Just took delivery on our 2020 130 GTI SE. Dealer says first oil and filter change should be at 10 hrs. Owners manual says 50 hrs? Looking for ground truth? Any other use and maintenance tips that are not in the owners manual appreciated. First jet ski.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, but one thing I read somewhere is to think about automobile engines. They dont recommend first oil change at 1,000 miles or anything out of the ordinary. So I'd say 50 hours is a good #

I'd go with the owners manual suggestion....change at 50 hours.

Now, you can't change the oil too many times, but at some point, you're wasting money.

Typically, a dealer will charge over $200 for the first oil change...their "reasoning" for the 10 hour change is that they'll also inspect the ski for anything that may have happened during the break in period.

This is something you can easily do.

I change my own oil and spark plugs every 50 hours (100 is recommended). Put over 350 hours on a ski that was running like new when I sold it.

Thank you. Do you think a there would be any issues with the warranty if someone other than the dealer does the 10 hour inspection checklist? Where can I find that checklist? Again, thanks xspook and jcross312.

Thank you. Do you think a there would be any issues with the warranty if someone other than the dealer does the 10 hour inspection checklist?

"As the owner of a 2020 Sea-Doo personal watercraft, you are responsible for the performance of the required maintenance listed in your Operator’s Guide. BRP recommends that you retain all receipts covering maintenance of your personal watercraft engine, but BRP cannot deny warranty solely for the lack of receipts or your failure to ensure the performance of all scheduled maintenance. "

From your first post, "Dealer says first oil and filter change should be at 10 hrs. Owners manual says 50 hrs?"
On page 33 of the owners manual it states "FIRST OIL CHANGE ONLY AFTER 100 HOURS * OR 1 YEAR ", but then on page 98 it states to change the oil after 50 hours or first 6 months.

If you want to do your own oil change (which you should), this is the best video out there on the procedure:

I do mine and buy OEM oil/parts, sometimes from my dealer, sometimes off Amazon. I keep all receipts (also helps in resale value). As a courtesy to me, whenever I do take it in for other maintenance, they will reset the maintenance reminder. Can't guarantee other dealers would do the same.

Where can I find that checklist?

Page 98 of your owners manual has the basic (not 10 hour specific) checklist. Here is the checklist for a 2011 GTI, which should be very close to your 2020.

ExtractPage1_1.jpg

ExtractPage1_2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much for taking the time to provide these references. Much appreciated!! Hope you get to see and enjoy the launch on Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back