first Doo purchase. advice on 2012 GTR 215

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincetonBoy88

Hey guys. New to the board and hopefully the PWC scene.

I'm scoping out a 2012 GTR 215. Did many hours of research and found it to be a good mix of performance and affordability. A few last-minute questions:

1) I saw some people having supercharger issues. I know all Seadoos use the identical 1.5L 3 cyl Rotax engine block (tuned for various outputs). Is the 215 engine reliable?
2) Anyone store their PWC in an underground parking garage? How do you prevent theft?
3) Without divulging his asking price, I'm wondering how much would you guys would pay for it? It's got 20 hours w/ trailer.

Thanks!

-Jay

My riding partner has a 2012 GTR and it is a great all round machine he has only had it one year with no problems at all.

By 2012 BRP had addressed all the weak areas of the earlier 4Tec engine the only thing left is to be pro active with the supercharger maintanance. BRP recommend 200hrs before rebuild the general consensus is 2 years or 100 hours. The problem with the supercharger if it does fail it does a lot of collateral damage so it's better to rebuild it before it breaks. If you buy this one with 20 hrs I would ride it this season and have the supercharger rebuilt over the winter as it will probably be under on hours but over on time.

Price depends a lot on area I'm in Canada my friend got his GTR with 16hrs on it as a dealer demo for about $9500 cdn no trailer.

The biggest thing with SC engines is maintenance. Keep up on it and be proactive with the supercharger. Rebuild is recommended at 200 hrs by BRP but 100 or 2 years whichever comes first is what most go by. Some like to gamble on the 200 hr mark but to me that's not worth destroying a good motor over if it does fail before the 200 mark. Other than that these engines are pretty reliable but like anything else it's all about how it was taken care of. Break in is very critical in the longevity of the engine life. I'd find out what he knows about proper break in before considering buying in just because asking price is going to be close to what you can get a new leftover 2013 from the dealer for I'm betting. If it's substantially less if be suspicious as to why. In my area I've seen some 2012 GTRs listed for around 9500 with trailer and a few more hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back