FINALLY - Closed a deal on a '95 XP800 and a '96 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
HH-66 is the stuff!! I tried it on a couple of scraps and it held much better than the plumbing glue or the hot glue gun. And it works good on the vinyl side, not just the side with fabric.

I can't wait to try it on the fabric and get the seat done.

At some point I am going to have to decide which motor I want to repair first... probably the '96 XP since it at least turns over.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few lessons learned on my hump seat project, that I'll pass onto anyone that may be inclined to do one themselves.

• HH-66 is the best adhesive to use to glue the tab to the cover (The purpose of the tab is to be inserted in a split in the foam to hold the vinyl down in the recessed part of the seat - therefore it has to be attached to the underside of the new seat vinyl). I made a jig out of a block of wood and coat hanger to use when gluing. It makes the joint defined like the original and makes sure the two pieces fuse together properly. I think I would not clamp it as tight the next time, though.

• Allsport is good stuff but it does stain easily. Be more careful than I was to not get ink on the vinyl when laying things out. Some ink from my jig ended up on the yellow vinyl - Grrrr!. And a pink spot that came from who-knows-where found its way onto the seat too - AAAAhhhhh!!. Next time I will put some wax paper between the jig and the vinyl.

• And don't think for a minute that acetone will help solve the ink stain problem. Acetone works on some vinyls but my experience with using it on Allsport is that it eats up the top layer pretty seriously, doesn't remove the stain and then makes the treated area a dirt magnet thereafter. SH*T!!!!

• When stapling the vinyl to the seat, do it on a soft surface, not a table top. It takes some pretty aggresive moves to stretch and staple things into place. Unknowingly, I now have worn areas almost all the way through on a couple of corners - Unfortunately, I don't think this cover is going to last very long. @#$!**X*@#!!!!

Live and learn. All in all, it looks way better than the old one, so I'm pretty happy given it was my first seat project. The next one will be perfect.

The jig:
IMG_0229.jpg

The attached tab from the underside:
IMG_0227.jpg

The fused join from the top side (complete with ink marks):
IMG_0233.jpg

The finished product:
IMG_0234r1.jpg IMG_0235r1.jpg

A real shame the engine is not making such progress :)

One concern I had about buying my two X4s was getting them titled. The owner had passed away (RIP, Wes) and his widow did not think the titles were ever obtained. I decided to take the risk on the purchase since info on the previous, previous owner was in the storage bin on both. I ended up paying $350 for the '96 XP and $275 for the '95 XP800. Both engines need work.

In doing some research, I found that the Commonwealth of Virginia has a few approaches to getting them titled as determined by whether there was a title, and/or a will, and/or whether the person that inherited them is the executor. Then they did a search on the Reg #s and found that the previous owner had titled both of them after all. Luckily the widow was then able to find the titles, and signed them over as the executor. As a result, all went smoothly in getting the title and registration transferred to me. Another hurdle overcome.

So, I have made progress both cosmetically and legally, but mechanically not so much. The '95 XP800 had some very corroded head bolts. Half of them snapped (it is obviously a salt water jet-ski). I am open for suggestions, but since the motor is locked up and bolts are snapping, I think I will shop both SES and SBT to see what a rebuild will cost me (it is not a 787X).

Hopefully the '96 XP comes apart better. I got spoiled on my '95 SP being fresh water only.

So, 6 months changes a lot, but not with respect to progress. For reasons I don't care to share, I am selling my two XP projects (dammit). Thankfully the reason is not PWed like Matt in Greenville :) .

All I got done over the past 6 months are:
* Resolved the title issues - I have one title in hand, and the needed documents and process to do the other one.
* Recovered the hump seat - looks awesome see pics in this post from a few months ago
* Bought fuel lines - not yet done
* Replaced XP800 gas tank with the recall tank
* Pulled top bolts on XP800, but about half of them snapped. It was going to get completely rebuilt so that did not worry me too much.
* Bought AGM battery
* Reconditioned XP800 hood
* Cleaned XP800 up fairly well but not 100%

I am selling the '96 XP, the '95 XP800 (787 but not 787X) and one trailer. These are very salvageable XPs that are the coveted hull design and engine. I'll sell them for what I have in them, depending on whether you want fuel line, cover, battery, etc. This should be a good deal for someone since I got a good deal on them, then resolved the title issue.

If interested, please e-mail me at mashenden at comcast dot com.

[MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] rescue these lol

Love to close a deal on the 95, but right now were burning thru the cold hard cash on Xmas gifts for the kiddos, my well is just about dry.

Mash shoot me a PM on the 95, give me the details please.

You mentioned one was titled. Which one? If the 95 has the paperwork to get a title, what paperwork is that. I would need to know that so I could call my notary and see if that would be the correct paperwork for me in Pennsylvania to get a title. How much your looking to get for the 95? I know what you paid for the pair, but you mentioned you would like to get out of it what you have into it. Those were the details I was looking for in the pm.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back