FINALLY - Closed a deal on a '95 XP800 and a '96 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mashenden

After a couple of months of discussion, the deal finally fell into place. The '95 XP800 is locked up - not sure if it is the engine or jet drive (its not the 787X engine - bummer). The '96 XP has low compression on front cyl so I am assuming it needs at least the top end rebuilt. Both need fuel system overhauls and some serious cleanin'. But still, I got both for $625. I should be able to work out getting them titled since the PO is willing to sign papers if I figure out the process.

'95 XP800:
006r2.JPG011.JPG

'96 XP:
IMG_0181.jpg013.JPG

Any tricks to recovering a hump seat? It seems there is something needed to keep the vinyl pulled down into the low point of the hump.

Last edited by a moderator:
jet trim makes good seat covers for the hump seat. they also sell the material to convert the normal seats into hump seats.

Thank you, but I am really looking to do it myself. I'm pretty good at doing reupholstering, but just was not sure on how to do the hump properly (OK, that just sounds weird :) )

I keep hearing about jet trim and their products for the xp's but their website doesn't show anyone that. Where can I see those products?

Here are a couple jettrim seats
477.jpg

533.jpg

78.jpg

404.jpg

Here are a couple jettrim seats
477.jpg

533.jpg

78.jpg

404.jpg

I don't wanna hijack the thread just looking for a link to purchase it. Seen everyone talk about them and the kits to convert to hump seat.wanna get more info. If someone has a link to those items, pm me a link. Don't wanna hijack. Sorry OP.

I did not see an option to make a standard seat into a hump seat. I only saw an option to raise the entire seat 2-4 inches. I am not saying they do not have it but that is all I saw.

Mashenden nice pick up by the way. I will be wrapping a hump seat soon, I just need to find material close enough to the original first.

Still only see the cover to make the whole seat taller, no hump.

Edit...

I read it and now I see you can order it to have any custom thing done to it. I was just looking at their stock images

Great deal and nice purchase! I am from VA too and just bought a '94 XP, '95 XP800, and a '96 XP. All of mine are projects as well. I hope everything turns out well for you. I have to get 2 seats reupholstered as well. Let me know if you know anyone that does it for a reasonable price. Keep us updated.

Nick pick up Mash. As I posted in your other thread, I'd still be interested in the 95 if you decide to part ways. That 96 engines looks real nice and unmolested--amazing! The 96 should come up real nice and with a detailed inside will look sick. Awesome score for sure.

...Mashenden nice pick up by the way. I will be wrapping a hump seat soon, I just need to find material close enough to the original first.
Thank you. Please keep us posted on what you learn on recovering yours.

The fabric is completely gone on my seat in the hump area. There seems to be something in the foam at the top of the crest of the hump (edit: ooops it was at the bottom, not top of the bump). I'm not sure if it is just some additional support for the foam, or if it used to attach to the fabric to keep it pulled down.

Great deal and nice purchase! I am from VA too and just bought a '94 XP, '95 XP800, and a '96 XP. All of mine are projects as well. I hope everything turns out well for you. I have to get 2 seats reupholstered as well. Let me know if you know anyone that does it for a reasonable price. Keep us updated.
I appreciate it. We are on a similar track. 3 project jet skis :) Regarding the seats, I'll be doing them myself.

Nick pick up Mash. As I posted in your other thread, I'd still be interested in the 95 if you decide to part ways. That 96 engines looks real nice and unmolested--amazing! The 96 should come up real nice and with a detailed inside will look sick. Awesome score for sure.

I'll keep this in mind. My first thing will be to pull the pump to see whats locked up... or maybe I'll squirt some oil in each cylinder to see if it will loosen up.

The seat for my HX has what I call the "micro" hump in the back, much different seat. But the front I really had to work to get it to lay right, I literally thought I was going to rip the material. I think it will be doable but won't come easy, I'm sure that's why all the aftermarkets do it in sections. If your going to do it I would totally recommend the All Sport 4 Way stretch material, it's around $28 a yard. The samples I have are really stretchy and will probably conform the best. My HX seat is not wrapped in 4 way stretch and perhaps that is why I had to man handle it.

56.jpg

I ordered some Allsport 4 way stretch Yellow vinyl from Sailrite to do my seats. That stuff looks like it will be perfect for doing a hump seat. It comes by the yard but I asked for 1.33 yards in hopes that 1) they will add the extra foot (at a cost, of course) and 2) I will get two covers done having 4' of fabric.

It looks like if I cut them out "69" it will be close even if I only have 36" (x 54"), but probably not. Has anyone ever gotten 2 covers using 1 yard of fabric?

I ordered some Allsport 4 way stretch Yellow vinyl from Sailrite to do my seats. That stuff looks like it will be perfect for doing a hump seat. It comes by the yard but I asked for 1.33 yards in hopes that 1) they will add the extra foot (at a cost, of course) and 2) I will get two covers done having 4' of fabric.

It looks like if I cut them out "69" it will be close even if I only have 36" (x 54"), but probably not. Has anyone ever gotten 2 covers using 1 yard of fabric?

I'm pretty sure you not getting two covers from 1 yard. When I did my HX seat I left about 3 inches around the seat. For 2 reasons, 1st to be able to grab and pull easier, and 2nd so I could staple in further so I wasn't littering the edge of the seat base with holes and weakening it for future recovers, then when I finished I went back along the edge where it was originally stapled. It really helped when pulling staples and restretching, then when I final stapled, I trimmed it back. But as [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] has said, the HX is one of the harder seats to cover.

60.jpg

...The fabric is completely gone on my seat in the hump area. There seems to be something in the foam at the top of the crest of the hump (ooops it was at the bottom, not top of the bump). I'm not sure if it is just some additional support for the foam, or if it used to attach to the fabric to keep it pulled down...

I was able to answer my earlier question about whether the hump seat has something attached to the fabric that pulls it down into the recessed area. It does. The piece that I could see through the tear that was sticking out of the foam used to be attached to the seat fabric. Reference picture. The top curved part was attached to the seat fabric at one time (although not stitched). Then the white plastic piece gets inserted through the space in the foam and then lays flat on the underneath to lock things into place.

Does anyone know of a good way to adhere something like this to the new fabric (Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl)? I hate to stitch it but will have to if nothing else becomes apparent.

IMG_0193[1].jpg

I was able to answer my earlier question about whether the hump seat has something attached to the fabric that pulls it down into the recessed area. It does. The piece that I could see through the tear that was sticking out of the foam used to be attached to the seat fabric. Reference picture. The top curved part was attached to the seat fabric at one time (although not stitched). Then the white plastic piece gets inserted through the space in the foam and then lays flat on the underneath to lock things into place.

Does anyone know of a good way to adhere something like this to the new fabric (Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl)? I hate to stitch it but will have to if nothing else becomes apparent.

Perhaps I am "talking" to myself :) but in case anyone else is interested, I am trying a few options to bond the vinyl tab (pic shown in previous post) to the seat fabric as follows:

• Hot Glue Gun - This works pretty well if bonding fabric side to fabric side. I suspect this works well because the glue has some texture to grab onto - not sure how it will hold up to heat and cold though. This approach does not work well when it is the vinyl side that needs to bond, presumably because there is no chemical reaction going on to melt the vinyl.

• PVC Cement (the plumbing stuff carried by most hardware stores) - I tried Oatey All Purpose Cement (red label #30821) applied to the vinyl side to adhere to the fabric side. Then clamped it and let it set for 2 hours. It caused the desired chemical reaction and bonded pretty well. It seemed comparable to the Hot Glue Gun bond but allowed bonding to the vinyl side. I also tried Oatey Rain-R-Shine (#30891) but it did not seem to work as well. There was something on the internet that said Oatey glue for vinyl shower pan installation would do the trick but I didn't have any lying around and did not want to sink $$ into that rather than the following...

• HH-66 - In searching the internet, the tarp and tent makers recommend an adhesive called HH-66. It is not easy to find locally (for me, anyways), but sounds like the right stuff in terms of staying flexible and holding up in heat/cold. Sailrite has HH-66 so I am probably going to order 4 ozs to see if it does better than the approaches noted above. Sailrite is where I also bought the Allsport vinyl - I really like that website for all kinds of DIY stuff. Prices and shipping costs are respectable.

More on that when I give it a try...

I have not made any real progress on recovering the seat because I just now got around to ordering the HH-66 adhesive to do the hump right. I did cut the shape out, which gave me some leftover pieces that got some creative juices going.

Next thing I knew I had a pretty decent prototype put together for a "handlebar pad glove". The stretchiness of the Allsport fabric makes it a very good solution for making the pad look respectable again. Much better than painting with Krylon (which works OK on the hood but not on the pad IMHO) or painting with Plasti-Dip.

Here are some pics:
IMG_0209.jpg IMG_0207.jpg IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0216.jpg

Not too shabby if I don't say so myself :) and it will match the seat perfectly. It will definitely get a "Sea Doo" stencil once I am also ready to do the same to the seats. I'll be in touch then, Doc.

I wish I had some more Allsport scraps to make another - I have some improvements that should make it a bit better fit around the pivot point and maybe pull a few wrinkles out. All in due time - I have another seat that needs to be recovered so I'll do it again then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back