Factory Pipe Part 96 SPI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Perusing the forum I found something mentioned about this little device on the exhaust manifold (follow the blue hose). I did a little research on this a few months back as I was concerned an incorrect adjustment might do some damage. This is a factory pipe set up which was brought to my attention by a member of this forum. I would never have known. :) The pipe tempertures seem OK and it has obviously been running this way for a while so I opted not to mess with the settings. ... LOL In put would be appreciated.Exhaust Manifold.jpgExhaust Manifold2.jpg

Wow that is the best 717 pipe kit, worth $300 as it is. That thing on the pipe is a 12v electric solenoid that is operated by an electronic module in the grey box. It sprays water into the exhaust stream between 3000 and 5600 rpm. This changes the sonic wave in the pipe allowing the ski to pull hard through what would normally be a flat spot in the acceleration.

Hmmmmmm..... that pipe is on my 1996 SPI . I am currently working on the 96 SPX I just got. Would this pipe work on 717 engine? I am thinking of selling the SPI and keeping either the SPX or the XP. Whoever I sell to... this kit won't make a difference in the price.

That pipe does not belong on a 587. It is for the 717. They recommended them for 657 and 657X engines but that was never a good idea because they usually blew up quickly.

If your SPI still has a 587 in it you will need to get the stock pipe set up back in there. It will probably be about as fast with bulletproof reliability.

Matt, you don't think I am getting performancegains with that pipe set up on the SPI ?? I know when I go to the factory site I don't see anything much about that pipe and the SPI.... it takes a bit of looking. I don't have experience with any other skis that size but it seems to go pretty good. Oddly enough I have a 1996 SPX and am installing an engine. That would be a good opportunity to move the go fast stuff. How would a sooped up GTX go against a stock 96 XP? :)

Trust Matt in what he tells you as he probably knows more about vintage aftermarket seadoo parts than anybody.

If he says don’t use that pipe on anything but a 720 then I would follow it.

LOL.... I hear ya Mikidymac.... but the pipe is on there, I didn't do it, and I'm not changing it unless my cousin wants it for his 720 GTS. :)

Post a picture of the expansion chamber, that might be a 587 pipe.

Chester

Here ya go Chester. It barely fits in there for sure. The Jetting is correct as suggested by the factory website so whoever did the install did it correctly from what I can tell. Sorry I don't have a picture of the Pipe in the ski but you can see it says factory pipe on the exhaust manifold. I like the way the pipe sounds... it's kewl. :D:DExhaust Pipe 2.jpgExhaust Pipe.jpgJet Ski Engine Compart 1device2.jpg

How much does one of the pipe set-ups cost new? Gotta be hella-expensive. It has electronics with it to.

Seems like the pipe has been on there a long time. I love the way it runs and since I installed a new wear ring it only suffers on top end just a tad when running the the GTXs. Before the Wear Ring replacement my wife glided by me on the GTX and it wasn't even wide open. I was in a full tuck... ha ha. Maybe the GTXs are slow. LOL

How much does one of the pipe set-ups cost new? Gotta be hella-expensive. It has electronics with it to.
Factory pipe doesn't make them anymore so you can't get new. To give you an idea a superjet pipe with no electronics new today is $750 and they sell out in days, they only do a few batches every couple months.

Whatever it does to the ski.... I can't compare it to another SPI or SP cuz I have not ridden one. I can say the top speed of these is listed as 42mph. With the messed up wear ring I wasn't getting "that" speed. Not withstanding the inaccuracy of Seadoo speedometers.... The GTX walked by slowly. My wife clocked me a 48mph. All I know is.... that lil sucker is fun !! I ride the GTXs but like the SPI. As you guys know... I am currently working on the XP and SPX both 96 models. I am looking forward to getting one of them on the water in a week or so.

OK since it is the right pipe for the ski and assuming it is set up properly what kinda gains does it provide (Hp ?) and I what kinda prop would give it some bump? The current prop is damaged but it had a number on it... I shoulda wrote it down. LOL The ski ate something and did this. I posted this a while back.20180515_071443.jpg20180515_071613.jpg20180515_071622.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch that pump took a hit! That was a rock grinder.

I have good new and used impellers for that. Text me tomorrow for pics and prices if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back