Exhaust Port Gasket 1996 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vission

Come to find out my rubber exhaust pipe boot, is failing and getting a bit of water coming in, nothing major yet. As many of you have found out this part: Muffler Gasket: 274000276 or 293250096, is obsolete, lucky us!

On another thread someone mentioned using one of these:
http://www.hardwarestore.com/epdm-master-flash-602314.aspx

Which probably works great, but I think I may have found a better one:
http://www.aztecwasher.com/universal-masterflash-pipe-flashing

Purchase from:
http://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=Universal Master Flash Round Flashing

Now I don't, have the dimensions of ours, I hope to get that tonight when I get home and get one ordered. Unless someone just happens to have them handy? :thumbsup:

I've been reading some of the threads as I'm a new owner of this challenger, and so I thought I'd share. I'll report back as to how well it works out.

Chris

*Update: Ok just did the measurments:
Outer Flange: 4"
Pipe: 2 1/2"

So it looks like I'll be ordering this one:

http://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/...r-Flash-Round-Flashing-1-1-4-in-2-1-2-in.html

As usual Shipping costs more that the part!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case someone finds this, the "better one" this guy found doesn't work. I wish one of these guys would have reported back before I went and bought the thing myself.

Sorry I did purchase one I just haven't had the chance to put it on yet, can you explain what about it doesn't work? I know the rubber will need to bend at an angle so one side folds in more than the other.

Thanx,
Vission

If you get it to work, let me know. Its oh so close to being just perfect. The metal flange around the base is a problem because the outer diameter cuts right through where the screws are. So, its not big enough to cover both sides of the screws. I was hoping that I'd be able to fix that with silicone. But then there's the diameter of the part that actually wraps around the exhaust port. Its way too small, which means you have to cut it back. When you do, there's not a portion of it that matches up well size wise with the exhaust pipe so its a little too big. I thought it might cinch down with the hose clamp, but it leaves a pretty big gap right under the hose clamp.

Again, if you find a way to make it work please let me know, its oh so close to being a perfect part. No hard feelings, we're all trying to figure this out together. I just don't think there's any way this part ends up being more reliable than simply filling the gap with silicone.

Ok, when I saw your response I started doing some measuring. It appears Big Rock Supply sent me the 3/4" - 1" masterflash (which I can see based on the label printed on the side. My order is clearly for the 1/2" - 2 1/2" masterflash which should work based on all the dimensions they post. I re-checked my order and I did order the correct part, so hopefully it will be really easy to get them to send me the correct part.

OK, if you get the correct size please let me know how it works out. Our Challenger is still in storage so I won't be able to get to it for a while.

Vission

I replaced this part last year with a new one. I'm pretty sure it was OEM, but it has already cracked out the outside, and was the hardest part to replace on the entire boat. I ended up not even getting all the bolts in and just going with rivets. I think this solution might just be the way to go. I'll def. not use this setup when I finish my 4tec upgrade.

They're out there, you just need to beat me to them. Just got my second one last week off the bay.

176.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

It's not a perfect fit but it's like 95% (inside diameter could be a little smaller). I'm out of town, but will post pics when I get back.

They're out there, you just need to beat me to them. Just got my second one last week off the bay.

176.jpg

That's because I've snagged the two I needed this winter and decided to let that one go. ;)
Maybe I need to get back on the buying spree. Did you see the one posted for $95?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, no that's crazy talk. This one was a roller coaster ride to get. I bought it like 2-3 weeks ago and just got it last week. My post office actually sent it all the way back to the sender in California because he put it in the wrong priority mail pouch. What a bunch of D-bags, that cost the post office money, it's a wonder they can actually deliver mail everyday. The guy was really cool and re-shipped it. I'm still baffled why they would do it. I saw the handwriting on the rts label and I know which knuckle head did it too.

Where did you find one for $20?

Turned out out of stock... DAMN! been looking for it forever... but guess i ll just go with some redneck style which i despite. (no choice here)

Luke-- Have you tested it in the water and the result?

I've been out on the water in it once since install. The boat takes on a little water, but it seems about standard, nothing the bilge can't handle. They fit well enough, and I used enough silicone (you are supposed to seal both ends with silicone) that there's no reason for it to leak. It's just too far up in there bother observing in my opinion. Going out again today, I'll try to look at it for you.

Luke,

Yeah, I already ordered joint seal and probably will go with your modification and see how it goes. Sure, lmk how it goes... Also, good luck and enjoy boating today!

Luke,

What boat are your photos from? I have a 96 Challenger and it looks nothing like your set up, plus my pipe is angled down close to 45 deg.

Vission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back