New to me 2009 Challenger SE 255HP first time out problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time boat owner here so please excuse any newbie questions I might ask.

Recently purchased a 2009 Challenger SE 255 HP in Phoenix with 110 hrs. It appeared to be well maintained and in overall great shape. It was serviced last month by a reputable local mechanic that works exclusively on Jet Ski's and Jet boats. Was told by PO that everything checked out during the service and there were no glaring notes of an issue in the receipts I reviewed.

The 1/2 hour test drive went great with speeds approaching 50 mph with 3 onboard. However, our first excursion as an owner did not fair as well. Since boating is new to me I didn't think much of the hesitation in the throttle response since there were 5 of us on board. About halfway through our day we heard a loud screeching sound that at first was intermittent. It slowly became the norm as we were limping it back to the boat ramp. RPMs dropped when the screeching sound was occurring and we could only muster about 12 to 14 mph on our return trip. Based on my mechanical experience it sounded like a bearing was on it's way out. But which one? After reading similar problems on the forum I began focusing on the impeller. Was hoping I could get some advice from some of the "Pros" out there as to what things I should check. Was hoping to do a few other upgrades in the future but didn't want to start until the boat was reliable first.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Chris

As POPPS mentioned....

Sounds like you supercharger.

Did the PO inform you when the Super Charger was last rebuilt?

To make a long story short, it is 200 Hrs OR 2 years. The OR is capitalized because when you have a boat that is an 09 and only has 100 hrs on it, I can guess that maybe the SC has not been rebuilt in the last 2 years.

To simplify this. The bearings in the SC sit in a raceway with plastic fingers. Over time this plastic becomes brittle and the fingers break off. When they do, you hope they stay in the raceway because f they don't, they end up in the PTO housing and in most cases get pulverized and make an internal mess in your machine.

I got lucky as I bought mine, an 11 with 55 hours. I thought how ridiculous this 2 year time frame was. I even pulled out my SC and bench tested it. It was flawless. 2 months later just like you a massive squeal and I shut it down.

My fingers stayed in the race and were accounted for. Also because it was the Inner bearing, the compressor wheel didn't contact the housing. (Touchdown)

If you are mechanically inclined you can pull the SC out. You need a special set or Torx wrenches and sockets but it is a pretty simple Job if you regularly do mechanical tasks.

I got lucky with SC failure

Thank You Popps and MacSeaDoo for taking the time to respond.

No info was provided regarding SC rebuild from the PO. I do have a call out to him though and hope he has the maintenance history on it.

Aside from using a stethoscope, is there a definitive way to determine whether the issue is the SuperCharger or the Impeller pump? I would like to address the correct issue now and leave the upcoming off season to rebuild the other.

I hear the newer SCs have a longer use life. Are they interchangeable with the 2009 Rotax engine or am I stuck rebuilding every 2 seasons?

Thanks!

Thank You Popps and MacSeaDoo for taking the time to respond.

No info was provided regarding SC rebuild from the PO. I do have a call out to him though and hope he has the maintenance history on it.

Aside from using a stethoscope, is there a definitive way to determine whether the issue is the SuperCharger or the Impeller pump? I would like to address the correct issue now and leave the upcoming off season to rebuild the other.

I hear the newer SCs have a longer use life. Are they interchangeable with the 2009 Rotax engine or am I stuck rebuilding every 2 seasons?

Thanks!

Sorry this is your getting feet wet experience with boating.

First thing, no more running your motor till you have a better idea, could be causing more issues.

If you’ve heard that much screeching and it’s your charger you’ll likely have some shavings visible if you pull off the inlet hose and stick your finger in etc. there is also a slip test some use to gauge where you try to turn the impeller with fingers, if you can turn by fingers don’t start the motor and pull them. Not being able to turn by finger doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem either though. Pull the dipstick and look at it in the sun, looking to see if looks like glitter is in there. I’ve had a charger blow up and take out an engine. The screech is horrible. Nails on a chalk board amplified etc. I’ve also had a thrust bearing go out on the other motor.

When you noticed the Rpms drop did the boat shake /vibrate? Was it petty constant screeching limping back?

Also, the new charger rebuilds are 200hrs or 2 years, used to be 100hrs. What Mac said with the bearing race deteriorating etc. yes expensive but not out of line compared with lower drive maint on a prop. Ive personally used pwcmuscle for rebuilds and been happy with results.

Thank You DooGuy!

The PO returned my call and confirmed the SC has never been rebuilt. He felt I may have just picked up some FOD in the impeller and directed me to the mechanic that has maintained the boat during his ownership. For this first round I will let the local experts handle it. Appointment on Saturday morning so we will see what he says.

Thanks for all your help. Will update later with the results.

Chris

If it is the SC and you are lucky like me it will just be an SC rebuild.

It could be the pump but most often the pump starts to fail quietly as it is under water. I am pushing good vibes your way in hopes it is the inner bearing raceway and all your bearings and fingers are still in the raceway.

Let us know how you make out.

@DooGuy- No shake noticed. Just a drop in RPMs. Mostly constant screech. I have a short video I am trying to upload on YT.

@MacSeaDoo- Appreciate the prayers. Did not notice any smoke or vibrations. I will know tomorrow sometime. Will check for metal flakes on dipstick later today.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Chris

Last edited:
The Supercharger has failed with 110 hours on the clock. My only hope is that it did not send debris throughout the engine. Will tear the SC down for a rebuild and inspect the rest.

Chris

1) I would be surprised & disappointed if "reputable local mechanic" did not strongly suggest SC rebuild.
2) Inspect the SC closely for missing pieces.
3) Change oil & filter, inspect both for metal. You also have oil strainers.
4) Per web SC spins up to 50,000 rpm.
5) I went 10 yrs, but Buddy lost his, so I had it rebuilt, PWCMuscle.
6) I do not recall if you have access to clean out the engine with the SC out ?
Luck

Carnage... Nut sheared clean off. Need to purchase a new Sea Doo Brand Super Charger.

Thank You for your input BGS. I also plan to pull the Air to Water intercooler and thoroughly flush it.

Chris

Attachments

• SC Carnage.jpg
    SC Carnage.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 19
I just bought a 2007 Challenger 180 with Super Charged Rotax 215HP. First thing I did was check Super Charger thanks to MacSeaDoo and others. Did test drive. Took it home and rebuilt the SC. It was Original SC with the Crappy Ceramic Washers. When you rebuild, the kits now have Steel Washers. I love my Sea-Doo Boat. sending you my best thoughts.

Thank You T-Doo!!

Currently searching for a new Sea Doo brand SuperCharger from a reputable vendor as the original is not rebuildable. I may post a new thread unless there are a few recommendations here.

Thanks to All!!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back