Exhaust overheated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevans37095

I've got a 2006 RXT and the exhaust overheated. It got hot enough that it distorted the inlet to the resonator and caused the engine compartment to fill with water. It also got hot enough that it burned the tube connecting the exhaust pipe to the muffler. Someone did this when I let them borrow it so I'm not sure exactly what happened, but apparently something clogged the water intake for the exhaust cooling. I tried to run it on the lake before I knew that anything was wrong and it would start but only run for maybe 30 seconds then die....no warning beeps or lights. I did remove the resonator and repaired it, but it had several nickel sized and smaller metal pieces in it. I'm guessing that I'll need to replace the muffler, exhaust connector tube, and resonator, but what else could have gotten damaged? Where could the metal pieces have come from?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Just trying to get an idea of what this may cost before taking it in for repairs.

Not sure but there's a possibility the metal pieces are from a baffle in the muffler. Really hard to say. Tell the repair shop that you want a compression test done BEFORE any repair work in order to see if there's any possible engine damage. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back