2003 gtx 4 tec SC - noise at idle other issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Lionel762

Have owned it one week. Problems but they were to be expected. It’s been sitting unused since 2009.

Put it in the lake and sputtered but finally broke free and ran great.
First problem. Almost sank from hull filling with water. Fixed broken nut on reverse linkage and found LH resonator spraying water through 4” crack.

New to the whole scupper valve thing and thought the missing plug that was exposing that white bell was normal. I assume that’s not the case and needs a plug just like the left side, correct?

After taking on so much water and fixing leaks problem no 2. A rattling noise at idle from the back. I don’t think it’s the motor or supercharger as I used the broom handle to ear trick and can’t hear the noise in either of those areas. They sound good. I assume shaft to pump or a bearing? As well it will now only start but then die. I now hear the standard 2 beeps but then 4 short instead of 3. ???? Google is no help on this. Manual has nothing on 4 beeps.

Last question. Is there an exhaust blockage? Is that why the resonator cracked? I blew air and water through but seemed to exit correctly.
Where do I get a new resonator? Nothing available inline.

And. No codes show. Only “end”

Lots of questions but any help is appreciated.

Yes, it needs a drain plug. That's not a scupper valve, just a check valve for people who forget to put their plugs in but they still typically leak.

The 4 beeps is the key reminder for early year 4tecs, normal.

Having some pump rattle out of water is fairly normal even for the early year 4tecs. I'm assuming it doesn't rattle in the water? You should probably pull pump and inspect anyway which is a 20 minute project. The 03 had the crappy plastic pump that eats wear rings. Better off to upgrade to 04 and newer metal pump.

Starting and dying many times is a fuel problem. Pull the fuel rail and check spray pattern while cranking. I assume you've changed spark plugs? and oil/filter?

Resonator cracks happen. Usually from age and heat cycles. If it doesn't throw an overheat alarm there most likely is no blockage. I've resurrected several 4tecs that have sat for many years and usually come back to life pretty quickly and easily with just doing the basics. You should be running on the trailer in the water checking for leaks and hot spots before you actually take it out then you won't almost sink again.

Yes, it needs a drain plug. That's not a scupper valve, just a check valve for people who forget to put their plugs in but they still typically leak.

The 4 beeps is the key reminder for early year 4tecs, normal.

Having some pump rattle out of water is fairly normal even for the early year 4tecs. I'm assuming it doesn't rattle in the water? You should probably pull pump and inspect anyway which is a 20 minute project. The 03 had the crappy plastic pump that eats wear rings. Better off to upgrade to 04 and newer metal pump.

Starting and dying many times is a fuel problem. Pull the fuel rail and check spray pattern while cranking. I assume you've changed spark plugs? and oil/filter?

Resonator cracks happen. Usually from age and heat cycles. If it doesn't throw an overheat alarm there most likely is no blockage. I've resurrected several 4tecs that have sat for many years and usually come back to life pretty quickly and easily with just doing the basics. You should be running on the trailer in the water checking for leaks and hot spots before you actually take it out then you won't almost sink again.
Great answers. I did inspect the pump. Bearing was toast and in pieces. I’m ordering a metal pump. I think the bad hearing was creating too much drag killing the motor as it runs fine now.

Back