Exhaust in engine compartment after top end rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bevmale

Hello,
Just completed top end rebuild on my 1994 GTX 657. Compression great at 150 on both cylinders and started up with no problems. Unfortunately, engine compartment filled up with exhaust smoke. I am hoping just loose exhaust manifold bolts. I left engine in hull during rebuild and torqued all to specs. Obviously, those eight bolts are a bit difficult. I also confirmed that lower water line attached. anyone else have similar issue?
Thanks

I had a 94 gtx. There's not too many places for exhaust to escape. Check the manifold to block bolts, pipe to manifold. But a big one could be the big rubber hose that holds the two halves of the pipe together.

I had that hose section work itself loose one time and hull filled with exhaust as well as having the machine fall flat on it's face. In the water it could produce e nought power to go a couple miles per hour. The leak was barely noticeable but caused HUGE problems.

I would suggest pulling the water box (muffler) out, loosen the pipe hose,remove the back half of the pipe and the rubber section that holds the pipe together. Do a really good inspection of the hose. If it looks solid then thoroughly clean the inside of the hose to remove any oily residue, clean both pipe surfaces where the hose clamps. Adsemble everything clean and dry without using any extra sealant. If I remember correctly the rubber coupler hose had been rib in the inside to prevent the two halves from contacting each other and causing damage to each other through vibration.Throw it together and see if that helps.

If the exhaust system ever overheats then that rubber section on the pipe can be damaged and split open later in history and cause trouble.

Last edited:
Attach the hose,,,pick a calm day,,,start her up,,,run the water,,,rev’er up,,,you should be able to find the leak,,.coupler usually is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back