Ethanol in our fuel

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

deepdiver

We are now using E10 in our engines and have been for some time. Older doos have all developed fuel problems maybe due to it. Now being considered is a change pushed by the corn suppliers to allow 15%. See this article
http://www.energytribune.com/articl...Weedwhacker-and-Your-Snowmobile-and-Your-Boat.
What can we do about it? Write your congressional reps for one.
But maybe the answer is regular use of a fuel additive. I understand there is a new one out targeted at boat owners.
Anyone who info re use of fuel additives for this purpose is invited to comment.
Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

I found several references to fuel stabilizers or treatments in the forum for the last few months.
They were Marine Stabil, Seatron, and Heat.
Are these to fix the ethanol problem or just general usage to clean injectors, carbs, pistons, etc.
Will they keep fuel from eating the fuel line?

Really nothing we can do about the fuel. If the EPA pushes for it... there will need to be people loosing engines before it changes, and that won't happen in cars since they are building the fuel system to a compatible.

DO NOT USE HEAT. That is pure ethyl alcohol. It will make it worse.

Alcohol attracts water, and that will rust out your carbs, and make you engine run poorly. Using a product like Marine Stay-Bil will help keep any water in suspension, and let it pass thought the system. It will do nothing to clean the system... it's preventative. About twice a year, I add Marine Stay-Bil to my water craft to help keep the fuel tank clear of water. Also... the last planed trip of the season... I add a heavy dose of Stay-bil, and oil to the fuel. This will keep the carbs clean for the next season.

Fuel ....?

I'm a bit more lucky. Since the problem with the ethanol additive is destructive to the rubber parts of the carbs, I have looked for good fuel We had 100% pure fuel up to about 4 months ago. Now, every station is using a mix of up to 10% ethanol.

I live on the water at Mobile bay, so there are marinas around. Most marina's are still able to get 100% fuel. So, if you live anywhere in the vicinity of a marina, try them. Because of the boat traffic, they want to sell their customers on what's healthy for their motors.

It's a few pennies more than the ethanol, but well worth it for me.:cheers:

Ive been lucky to have a few No E gas station near me, but Im afraid that they will be gone soon.

Maybe there will be handouts for those of us who the governemnt fuel effects.

As FYI, I just found another additive at my Polaris ATV dealer, Gas Shok. It has no alcohol. It specifically mentions fixing problems caused by E10 and E85. Cost $14.95 for 8 oz. Treat at 1/2 oz per 5 gal.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment

Star tron Enzyme fuel treatment is what the dealer around here recommends.
He said this stuff is amazing, it will actually restore old seperated gas. One bottle will treat 48 gallons and their price was $7.99, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

Thanks for the input.
I may have spoken to soon about the demise of non-Ethanol gas. Maybe its the cheap stations mostly. Seems the regular brands still have non-E gas. So use it, preferable to the Ethanol blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use and will continue to use BP, here in KY its 100% gasoline, I use the mid grade 89 octane. I also use it in my car and jeep.

BP uses mostly Alaska oil, and no Arab oil. Even with the bad publiblicity I will continue to use BP. I have noticed that some of the stations are going back to the Gulf brand, I guess BP still owns the trademark.

Lou

Star tron Enzyme fuel treatment is what the dealer around here recommends.
He said this stuff is amazing, it will actually restore old seperated gas. One bottle will treat 48 gallons and their price was $7.99, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

Has anyone else been using that Star tron Enzyme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back