ENGINE QUESTION.. 2006 SCIC 4tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bk0388

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated ..
Took boat out bout 20 times with no issues..
Last time out, on my way back in engine started smoking(white smoke)..
Pulled cord.. Ever since it won't start up again.. It cranks and will start up for literally a second or 2 but that's it..
Btw this happened in shallow water.. Some shitty foul water on Long Island to be exact so don't know if that had somthing to do with it. Nothing stuck by intake.
I changed spark plugs,, did oil change. No help.
Brought to shop..
He says there's no compression..
That it needs rebuilt engine cost 3500$!!!
That seems ridiculously steep to me..
So wanted to ask if that seems like a reasonable problem considering what happened..
Could that have caused loss of compression..
Can it really need 3500$ worth of work after riding ok for so long..
Does it really cost that much?
ANY INPUT would help..
Thanx in advance..
Bill

4-tec engines are every bit of $3500 to rebuild or replace depending on what is damaged.

Let's do some digging though.

Is the antifreeze tank drained or full?

What engine do you have?

Do a compression test and post your numbers.

Do you have the original plugs, post a pic of the electrode end.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the engine is blown $3500 is on the cheap side of replacing it. I hear prices from $3500 to over $6000. Do what Coastiejoe recommends and will take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea do your own compression test and post the numbers. When you saw the white smoke did you notice a loss of thrust?

Thanx for input guys .. I will do the test and post numbers ASAP..
ANTIFREEZE is full...
Btw .. When I pulled the plugs.. One of them WAS chewed up .. I'll see if I can post a pic but it did look like someone had hit it with a hammer..
It's the 215 hp Rotax...
And I don't remember a lost of thrust when I saw the smoke.. But def noticed somthing before.. A sort of cavitation

I'm kinda new to this.. Bought it about a year ago.. Was hopin that since it ran good for a summer and a half before this... And that it would start up, albeit only for s few seconds... That it wouldn't be a huge problem..,
Or maybe just somthing caught in the air intake or somthing similiar since it was in foul, slimy , shallow water.
So I guess 3500$ isn't too bad huh?

I'm kinda new to this.. Bought it about a year ago.. Was hopin that since it ran good for a summer and a half before this... And that it would start up, albeit only for s few seconds... That it wouldn't be a huge problem..,
Or maybe just somthing caught in the air intake or somthing similiar since it was in foul, slimy , shallow water.
So I guess 3500$ isn't too bad huh?

Not if you have a legit engine issue. But,,, if it is something else, then the 3500 will not fix the issue as it will still be there.

This is why a compression test is pretty important. It gives us a base..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back