Engine Oil Warning

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally not. UNLESS... you were pushing the boat down, to the point where the gas cap was getting splashed.

But... I'm glad that you got the water purged.

Last thing... check the O-ring on the fuel cap, and make sure it's in good shape. Also... if you have a "Pod" style fuel vent... make sure it's in good shape too. If it's mounted low... and the little valve inside has gone bad... it could have gotten water in thought that.

I was just looking over the manual... and something struck me... the oil beep is intermittent. (4 beeps, and a 1~2 minute pause) The over temp is content. SO.... how is it beeping?

Where are the descriptions of engine beeps found anywhere in the manual? I'm unable to find any info on beeps and what they mean.... Thanks

Resurection...

I have a Opti 250 in my 05 Islandia. I ran the boat without problems last year after I solved my alternator and air pump problems. While winterizing the boat, I ran it on the hose and the oil level light came on immediately. I checked the oil cap and oil levels in both tanks which are ok. The boat starts up and idles fine on the hose but the light is illuminated and I get the customary 4 beeps every minute. With that said would the advice given in this thread apply to troubleshooting the oil level in my 250 DFI?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if the oil stuff is what you need in the end as I'm not familiar with your engine/boat... But what it turned out being for my Mercury engine was water in the fuel/vapor barrier. Dr. Honda might be able to help out tho, he's the man.

I tested the oil switch and there is no continuity. I also examined the float which appears to be operating ok. No matter the float position the switch had no continuity. I also jumpered the corresponding harness leads and the light went out immediately. Time for a new switch.
214.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So I replaced the oil level sensor and the oil level light is still illuminated. Is there a possibility that the float went bad? I definitely felt the little float at the top of the tank. Maybe there is a part of the float which has separated and fell to the bottom of the header tank?

I've never heard of the float in the oil tank going bad. But I guess anything is possible.

But with that said... the little oil light on the Merc boats is DUMB !!!! it's mislabeled from seadoo. It should be a bell (warning) and not an oil can. Basically... that light will come on with ANY warning from the system. So... if you know, 100% that the oil tank switch is working... then I would look else where.

Also... listen to the beeps. They will tell you what wrong. OR... get a Merc shop to plug in a scan tool and that will tell you EXACTLY where the problem is at.

I shorted the switch wires and the light goes out which tells me the problem is with the oil level switch circuit.

I got a new oil tank and tested the old sensor with it and lo and behold it works good (switch closes the circuit with float at the top). So here is a question.

Once I replace the header tank do I need to follow any special air purging procedures. Service manual mentions it but I'd like to DIY if possible.

Mercury 240 efi oil light and beeping: http://youtu.be/d0UkejpUzTQ

Last week when I was out at the lake I bumped the vent cover near the gas tank opening as I was pulling into a dock. It broke off and I had to drive about 8 miles back to where I parked. We got stuck in a terrible storm on the way.

A few minutes later it cleared so we took a short ride and the boat stalled and would not run. There was nobody else on the lake except a mechanic from the marina so he towed me in and I left it with him. Upon inspection I got water in my gas.

He replaced my water separator and pumped a lot of fuel of of the tank.

Today I picked up the boat and it started and ran with no issue but I got the red oil light on and a repetitive beep, beep, beep ( like a truck backing up sound). No pattern just every second a beep.

I know that it is not an oil issue since I premix 50:1 and my float in the oil reservoir is set in the up position and I confirmed it.

I recorded a 10 second video of the beep. Can anyone confirm if this is an indication of water in separator filter. I did not think to remove the wire from the bottom of the filter sensor to see if it stops.

If it is water can I just drain that filter again or does it need replaced. Will I have to dump it then run it for a while and dump again ? I always have marine stabil in my premix. I will add a stronger dosage next time.

Thanks,
Brian

I got a new oil tank and tested the old sensor with it and lo and behold it works good (switch closes the circuit with float at the top). So here is a question.

Once I replace the header tank do I need to follow any special air purging procedures. Service manual mentions it but I'd like to DIY if possible.

Just fill the tank with oil, and you will be fine. If you really want to purge all the air out... leave the cap loose, and start the engine. it will pump oil into the tank, and out the loose cap. Then... tighten it once it starts to over flow. But it's really not that critical. I just top it off, and call it a day.

Mercury 240 efi oil light and beeping: http://youtu.be/d0UkejpUzTQ

Last week when I was out at the lake I bumped the vent cover near the gas tank opening as I was pulling into a dock. It broke off and I had to drive about 8 miles back to where I parked. We got stuck in a terrible storm on the way.

A few minutes later it cleared so we took a short ride and the boat stalled and would not run. There was nobody else on the lake except a mechanic from the marina so he towed me in and I left it with him. Upon inspection I got water in my gas.

He replaced my water separator and pumped a lot of fuel of of the tank.

Today I picked up the boat and it started and ran with no issue but I got the red oil light on and a repetitive beep, beep, beep ( like a truck backing up sound). No pattern just every second a beep.

I know that it is not an oil issue since I premix 50:1 and my float in the oil reservoir is set in the up position and I confirmed it.

I recorded a 10 second video of the beep. Can anyone confirm if this is an indication of water in separator filter. I did not think to remove the wire from the bottom of the filter sensor to see if it stops.

If it is water can I just drain that filter again or does it need replaced. Will I have to dump it then run it for a while and dump again ? I always have marine stabil in my premix. I will add a stronger dosage next time.

Thanks,
Brian

on the 240... there aren't too many beeps. SO... since it's not over temp... and it's not oil... Yes... I will take a gamble and say it's water in the fuel.

As you already thought... pulling the wire off the filter will silence that. (for a test) But I would just replace the filter, and be safe. You can drain it, via the sender. (just remove it, and let it drain) But the filter inside gets wet, and may have issues later.

What lake were you on?

Thanks Dr. Honda,

I ordered another separator filter and another vent cover as a spare to keep in the boat.

I always boat at Yough Dam and the cleats on the vinyl docks are at the exact level of that vent. I broke it off 2 years ago. Doesn't take much to snap the plastic. A $9 plastic cover would probably have kept my fuel clear.

The boat did run well however and it was reassuring being premixed and knowing that I had oil regardless of the light being on.

Let me know if you ever plan a day at Yough Lake. Great place to boat, just watch out for the pop up storms over the mountains.

Brian

Quick update: my oil header tak float did go bad after all. The magnet separated from the float which caused it to not function properly. New tank did the trick; light went right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back