engine compartment heat shield foam?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeZeitvogel

My engine compartment has this deteriorating foam for heat resistance around the black plastic that makes up the engine cmopartment. It flakes off everytime I fill the oil and junk gets everywhere. If I scrape it and scrub off the old foam it there anything I can put back on there to block the heat and deaden the sound. I wa thinking of putting DYNOMAT on there.. I know it would work for the sound and vibration but is it waterproof and heat resistant. Is there something better out there to replace the old stuff with. Maybe something with an adhesive backing and comes in a roll like 2 foot sheets?

Dynomat is good for vibration, but is not a sound barrier. If you want to really soundproof your engine compartment, you need something that stops vibration as well as absorb sound. The best product I know of is called Soundown Composite Insulation Vinyl/Foam Sheets. It is used on most of the mega-yachts I work on.

It is very effective in quieting and dampening noise created by engines, generators, and other equipment. It is made specifically for the marine environment.

The insulation sheets are composed of a layer of mass loaded vinyl sandwiched between two layers of polyether fire retardant foam, and then covered by a thin vapor barrier. It is designed to reduce vibration and noise from marine machinery that may produce significant bass and midrange frequencies such as engines, generators, and pumps.

It is not cheap. To do your engine compartment, it would cost around $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back