Engine access Challenger 180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker29

Re-installing the plastic exhaust resonator that I removed after using a stainless steel pipe for a season. And yes, I know all about the lawsuit, etc... The drone was just way too loud so I'm going back to the plastic box. Plus, I think 99% of the incidents in that lawsuit were user errors.

My biggest issue is engine access. The resonator sits on the bottom right side of the boat and it is an absolute bear to get down that low in the compartment. Anyone have any suggestions on how to work on anything in the lower engine compartment? I have hung upside down and laid every which way. Even cut out some of the starboard rear storage just to get a better angle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For our 210 SE I've found it's easier to remove things like the intake and airbox when I need to access things further back in the bilge. It usually takes less time to remove items to gain easier access than it does when trying to work around obstructions.

Thanks JPass... had not thought of removing those items. Makes a lot of sense. Have you ever removed the engine door from its hinge with any success? Heard of a few people trying that and reaching down from the swim deck.

Mack29 is on it. I remove the engine hood. Then I build a step up ramp from the back of the boat that I can stand on. You are still going to be upside down, but this takes a lot of physical stress off your body.

Thanks JPass... had not thought of removing those items. Makes a lot of sense. Have you ever removed the engine door from its hinge with any success? Heard of a few people trying that and reaching down from the swim deck.

We have a 210 SE (twin engines), so the engine access is different as the entire rear clam shell opens up pretty much the width of the boat.

The small, single hatch on the 180 always seemed really tight to me when I've seen them. Removal of the small hatch should be pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back