Electricity to wires but no spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Georgejlewis

I have a weird one I hope someone can help with. 1997 Seadoo GTX 800, I connect the key and get beeps (intermittent old) current going through the plug wires when trying to start but no spark seen at the plugs. I have replaced the spark plugs (br8es .024gap), grounding wire, new ring terminal on small grounding wire and connected with large wire at negative battery terminal, ignition coil, solenoid, rectifier, checked the timing, rebuilt the carbs (fuel is getting to cylinders with new non ethanol gas), replaced the battery, but it will not start or seem like it wants to. Plugs worn spark even when dry. Cylinders have 150 compression. I have ordered a new trigger pick-up but not sure that is the problem. I recently bought a used engine and went through it before installing it and all looked good. The previous owner gave me the "it an when I pulled it out".

Problem;
- Wont start!
- No visible spark from plugs
- Wits end

Thanks
George

Hi George, The only advice I can offer you at this point is to follow the voltage.....if you have no spark after all you've done....it could be your mpem potentially.....if the integrated CDI is not putting out voltage, then you may not have many options left. I've attached the wiring diagram for the ski if it's any help.

Have you trimmed the ends of the spark plug wires (1/4" ) and reattached the spark plug boots? You did say you have voltage on the spark wires but no spark coming out - you could also try replacing just the spark boots.

Attachments

• 1997 GTX wiring diagram.pdf
    178.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the reply. I have the full manual and have read it many times. I did cut the wires and checked that voltage is going to them when I try to start it. I notice that when I pull the spark plugs after trying to start they are wet. I have dried them off and waited a day and tried again to see a spark and still no luck. There has to be something I am missing.

George

Thanks for the reply. I have the full manual and have read it many times. I did cut the wires and checked that voltage is going to them when I try to start it. I notice that when I pull the spark plugs after trying to start they are wet. I have dried them off and waited a day and tried again to see a spark and still no luck. There has to be something I am missing.

George

Makes no sense.....you have voltage on the spark wires but no spark coming out??? Where the heck is the voltage going? The only thing I got left is MAYBE the wrong boots???? They are a resistive type (from what I've read)...so is it possible the boots are stopping the voltage? IDK....grasping at straws at this point !!!!

Compare your magneto from old engine to new and note how many nodes you have sticking out on magneto
Do you have two coils or or one coil with two plug wires
This caught me out and the Seadoo agency too
The coil installation didn’t match the the magneto (timing pick up nodes on magneto)

I have one coil with 2 wires. I didnt pull the magneto cover off the new engine yet because I was getting pulsing from the plugs. The engines look identical and the only difference is on the number plates. One is black with white etching and starts with the letter M. The other looks newer style and does not have an M.

Ok, just checked it again and now I have no visable spark. I am ordering a new pick up. should have in 2 days and will update. UNLESS some one has another solution.

So, you had a good spark at 2:05 today then at a later time in the day you lost the spark......hmmmmm, that's frustrating.
When you are cranking the ski, can you detect voltage on the WHITE wire to the ignition coil?
You have checked and verified all ground connections, electrical connections for clean, bright and tight on the ignition coil...I assume.

Yes it is and Yes I did, I Checked continuity with the white wire from the mepm and all was good. It also showed current when cranking.

The only thing left at this point other than the mepm is the trigger pick up.

George,

I found some really old posts back from 2013....a fellow skier had a similar issue with spark/no spark.

Before you tear anything apart, can you confirm that you are getting a "pulsed" voltage on the white wire to the ignition coil while cranking the ski? If so, this could confirm that your pickup coil is seeing the magneto/stator HOWEVER, the old posts [Matt Braley] also indicated that the bracket that secured the pickup coil was prone to fail and the pickup coil COULD be INTERMITTANTLY functioning (so a hit or miss situation).

Either way.....you may have to remove the front engine cover over the flywheel to actually put your eyes on the situation to physically confirm that the pickup coil is secure OR NOT. At this point, it doesn't sound like the mpem is a player in this problem...phew!

Thank you for the heads up. I am getting a pulsing from the white wire. I am pulling the engine cover off now and checking the part. I have a new part coming tomorrow and will install and update.

The hunt continues. I pulled the front cap off which wasnt too difficult. Made a wedge with a piece of 2X4 and unbolted the engine mount. Had to remove the mount in order to reach the bottom screw on the cover. I removed the 2 screws that hold the oil pump and pulled the cover off. Well, no broken pick up. Since I have it off I will replace it anyway. Only difference is the new engine is an 96 vs my ski being a 97. All of it looks the same, 18 nodes on the magneto (gazzaskirepair).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 18
As per attached picture you’ll have two or four depending on your coil set up
Just compare old engine to new

Attachments

• 17F454DC-0222-4FDE-A051-77F0C0221BBB.jpeg
    17F454DC-0222-4FDE-A051-77F0C0221BBB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
And you have spark ?
If yes pour some a little fuel in the cylinders and see if it kicks over and that’ll identify fuel problem or too much oil

Then your spark isn’t good or engine rotation speed is slow or compression is weak
It should at least get a kick over
New spark plugs

Back