Dry start on trailer?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 01 Islandia... can I start it on the trailer without toasting the engine? There is a water hose hookup under the engine cover that the manual says is for a cooling system flush... can I hook up to that and fire it up or am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

You can crank it up for a few seconds on dry but just for about 20 30 seconds max. The water hookup is to flush it or crank it up out of the water as the manual says, you'll need the flush kit for it and to clamp off the outlet hose the one that goes to a white plastic fitting in the back of the hull than put your garden water hose to it than you can crank it up for long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I would chance it, honestly I don't know Mercury jets that well but I do know it's a big no no to run Mercury outboards and stern drives dry, the lower impeller will burn up very quickly. That being said I don't know if the jet drives have a lower impeller. Let's get an expert opinion [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]

I'm moving this to the Merc. powered boat section.

Lou

Lou,

The reason you can't run your Merc I/O out of the water is because you will burn the water pump impeller out. The jet drives are like the Seadoo's, where the water is forced into the engine with pressure from the pump unit. SO... there's nothing to burn out.

But, it's been my experience that you need good water pressure on the hose to keep the engine from overheating. If you just want to test fire it, and run it for a few seconds... you are fine.

On an I/O if you use one of these flushers you can run the motor on the trailer.
You install it over the water inlets on the outdrive and turn on the water...after you start the motor.
Water will exit at the prop and also at the exhaust outlets just outside the the hull on the drive unit.
Keep the water pressure at mid range, at least from my well I do that.
I've been using this for decades without any problem.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Universal-Flusher&i=21724

I always dry fire the engine at the boat landing before pulling up to drop it in the water. I never want to be the guy, cranking and cranking just to find out it won't start.

That being said, I only run it long enough to know it is running proper (5 seconds) and I have only once ended up not getting it started due to a dead battery. About the time I don't dry fire it, will be the time it won't fire after sitting in line, and then holding up the rest.

I never want to be "that guy" as it would probably be my wife at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back