Don't buy a Seadoo Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brb123

I own a 97 Challenger 1800. If you're thinking about buying one or you own one that actually runs, sell it now!!!

If you have to buy a jet boat, buy a Yamaha, or at least a four stroke. Four stroke won't suck down the fuel as bad. Don't ever buy a boat with a 2 stroke motor.

Too many problems with a Seadoo, at least a 97 Challenger 1800. You will spend so much cash buying parts, gas, etc. You will also spend more time troubleshooting, repairing, and maintenance than actually using the piece of junk.

Other reasons you should avoid this boat:

1. Very rough ride. Unless the water is like glass, it rides like a bull. If you cruise over 30 to 40 MPH, you'll bounce up and down hard on the seats. Your a.... will be sore, not to mention other body parts in the area.

2. No windshield, so wind blows directly in everyones face. I could deal with this, except everyones butt is so sore from bouncing up and down.

3. No carpet, so you slip all over the place. If you do buy one, install some carpet.

4. Working on the engine or anything in the engine compartment is literally back breaking. You have to bend over the back seat to work on anything in the engine compartment. Some repairs you will be hanging upside down for a very long time. I just love the blood rushing to my head while breathing gas vapors, and sweating my a.... off.
5. There are 4 carburetors, which means you will eventually have to rebuild them. More back breaking work, just to get them off the engine.
6. Rave valves, there is four of those too, have to be cleaned periodically. These are not as hard to do, but still another thing you will eventually have to deal with.

Basically this boat is a miserable experience. You will always be performing maintenance, repairs, and the time spent on the lake will be mostly miserable too, depending on the lake conditions. Remember, this boat is a very rough ride unless your are on water thats as smooth as glass!!!

I've had my boat for 3 years, and truthfully, I've spent more time performing maintenance and repairs than on the water. Haven't even spent near the amount of time on the water as repairing. Also spent tons of money on parts, gas, oil, and upholstery.

Big mistake if you buy one of these boats. If you already own one, sell it if or when you can. If you have to have a jet boat, buy a Yamaha.

Let us know how the yam works out. All boats require maintenance thats why BOAT stands for BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND. It can truly be a poor man's nightmare. :rofl:

I am picking up my 97 Challenger single 787 this weekend.

I understand that these boats require lots of maintenance, but if you do it right, it is PREVENTATIVE maintenance, and not fixing things that have already been broken.

I agree, 4 strokes tend to be less maintenance, but when my dad had his 455 Olds jet boat, it was in the shop for work at least 2 days a year also. Just end of year crap that happens with all boats.

And since all threads need a pic, enjoy...

Man, I really miss that boat. Wish he would have never sold it...:(

Attachments

• goldendaze.jpg
    goldendaze.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 27
I am picking up my 97 Challenger single 787 this weekend.

I understand that these boats require lots of maintenance, but if you do it right, it is PREVENTATIVE maintenance, and not fixing things that have already been broken.

I agree, 4 strokes tend to be less maintenance, but when my dad had his 455 Olds jet boat, it was in the shop for work at least 2 days a year also. Just end of year crap that happens with all boats.

And since all threads need a pic, enjoy...

Man, I really miss that boat. Wish he would have never sold it...:(
man I bet that would out run any seadoo. probly 70 or 80 mph and sit you back in the seat from start to finish

Big block...

The old big block jet boats used mostly the Berkely pumps. These things were awesome to hear and even ride in, but they were heavy. So much so, that a 717cc would probably blow right past them.

These were mostly built for show. Like the way you see the Allison's on the rivers now.

As for the disgruntled Seadoo owner. Sorry you feel that way. There once was an old saying, "buying a boat is like digging a hole in your back yard and throwing money in it". It doesn't matter if it's a Seadoo, Yamahammer or Suzuki, it'll still require maintenance. :cheers:

If I remember correctly, this boat had a "Jacuzzi" jet pump on it. I always thought (as a kid) that is was funny it was the same name as the hot tub, and probably the same manufacturer.

This boat was FAST. just shy of 60 mph on the water (no GPS back then to verify it).

My dad used to be a speed freak and at that time had a Dodge van with 440 ci with headers and a big Holley 4 bbl, and before that used to haul his boats with a 69 Road Runner, now he drives a Mazda 4-banger...I guess he just got old.

It was really scary/fun when mom drove the boat. She is just as crazy now, taking off on the jetski off the beach and immediately hitting the waves and getting 4-6 foot airs:cheers:

hey scoop, mebbe you should go to wichita. i think you could get a 2 motor challenger pretty cheap up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back