Does the trailer and ski look properly set up?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfish1

Tongue wt is appx 40 lbs, bunks seem high but I have never owned a ski so not sure I really know how this should be set up. How does the trailer look vs the ski, too far back or not?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 82
40 pounds is a little light IMO. The ski is around 900 pounds and the trailer is probably around 150 to 250 so I'd prefer the tongue weight to be between 90 and 110 pounds

Post a full side pic.

Agreed 40lbs is too light for tongue weight. Bunk height looks OK any lower and you will be hitting the trailer cross rails with the hull from the pics it looks like the ski needs to go forward to increase tongue weight and get the hull further on the bunks it should not hang off the back that much.

More tongue weight. At 40 pounds going over bumps you will get bouncing. Increase it to 90 pounds ish.

Very helpful. Decided to officially weigh tongue based on above. Guess I don't know my own strength, lol. According to the scale, my tongue is 85 lbs and the rear over hang is 15 inches.

Sounds like the tongue at is ok after all and perhaps reducing the over hang would be good but from the looks of the trailer, small incremental adjustments don't seem possible so u less you think the over hang is a problem, I will leave as is.

Also, tires are rated for 990 lbs at 90 psi. I'm used to tire pressures of 35-45 psi, do I really need to inflate these to 80-90?

Is the front bumper is correct spot or should I lower it? Hits right where the front I-bolt is, maybe lower 3-4 inches?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
a side pic would help to determine how the front bow stop should be set, FWIW mine kind of hits right above the bow hook and I use the nylon strap.

you should be able to move the bow stop up/down pretty easily along with the winch post itself if I remember correctly from previous tritons i've had in my garage.

The main thing in regards to the front bumper/stopper is, it is above the metal hook but below the bow rub rail. I personally like my stopper up near the rub rail, but officially it doesn't mater as long as the cleat is below it.

This is what keeps the ski pulled DOWN onto the trailer as the winch will be below the stopper. If the winch strap went over the stopper, it would want to life the ski up and is big time dangerous in the event of an accident..

Updated w side shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 41
Nope,,, the stop needs to go higher and the winch strap goes below it. Also, most of the stops have more than just a pivot point on them as that will NOT stop the ski from coming forward in the event of an accident.. I'll take a pic of mine and post it in a moment...

Here is mine,,, Stop up high, strap under the stopper, two brackets so that he stopper does no move,,

Yes,, lots of stuff behind it,, I slide my lawn mower, generator, and pressure washer over there in he corner to keep them out of the way.

400.jpg

Here is mine,,, Stop up high, strap under the stopper, two brackets so that he stopper does no move,,

Yes,, lots of stuff behind it,, I slide my lawn mower, generator, and pressure washer over there in he corner to keep them out of the way.

400.jpg

Got it, thank you. I looked at you pic then studied the trailer more. I see the problem with the current setup now. In part, my problem stems from the bunks being too high. I can't really adj my stop to fit like it is supposed to bc the ski is riding too high on the trailer. I need to be careful not to lower the bunks so much that the ski hits the cross bar but it is hard to load and sits up too much. There is no more room for me to raise the stop, it is as high as it goes so lowering the bunks will help address this.

Revolution, Yes, trailer is on the smaller side. I don't think it is too small but on the small side.

I have a 2003 trailer and my friend borrowed it a few months back to haul his new 2015 RXP. Turned out that the 2003 trailer is definitely too short as Sea-Doos are made longer since the advent of 4-tecs. He has to buy a trailer longer than mine (although he managed to carry his ski with my trailer).

Your last picture looks better.

Benji.

1) yes, the bunks look a little high, it looks like you have enough clearance to slide them down a bit ? hard to tell from the angle, at 2nd glance it looks pretty tight... might be no wiggle room there... On my ski I probably have all of 1" clearance between the bottom of the hull and the trailer, its pretty tight.

2) can't tell from the pic's but you might be able to flip your axle brackets to lower the trailer itself if the height is giving you issues when launching. That will lower the whole setup about 2-3 inches. (won't change the winch setup, but will lower the ski overall)

I just went through the exact issues you have. Had a trailer rated for the same 990 pounds and wanted to put my RXT on it. Trailered it from Ohio to Chicago without issue but I really needed more trailer underneath it. Needed the additional weight capacity, and more importantly the ability to have the ski ride lower on the trailer due to a notched or curved trailer frame as most new trailers are. This makes for a safer, lower center of gravity and much easier lunch and retrieval. The length shouldn't be much of an issue as it looks like you have enough support. As others have mentioned I would look to upgrade the trailer, if for nothing else, just piece of mind. I did and I couldn't be happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back