Does a Galvanized trailer cost more?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigmri

I'm about to purchase a new 2008 Challenger 180 from an out of state dealer. When I questioned to conform the trailer I would be getting was in fact galvanized and not a painted trailer(I will use boat in mostly salt water) The dealer suddenly added an extra $250. Does Seadoo charge more for the galvanized or is this dealer just trying to make a few bucks?

Craig

That's pretty standard around here for a galvanized trailer to be a few hundred more than a painted one.

Aaron

Galvanized trailers do cost more.... Steel trailers are the cheapest trailer you can get and won't last in the salt water long at all. Most seadoo's come with a galvanized trailer. I would tell the dealer that he should throw in the galvanized trailer or, no deal ....he won't want to loose the deal over a $250. trailer swap...especially in the winter when sales are slow.
Nobody in Florida wants a steel trailer.
Karl

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll stick to my guns with the galvanized trailer.

Craig

I dont care for the look of the galvanized, seems to look "foggy" after a while, especially launch'n in salt(Dana Point), so I just prime/paint mine. Couple pints( I believe), does the trick...:cheers:

The idea of Galvanized Trailers isn't the pretty looks but the fact that the salt water will destroy a steel trailer them from the inside out. You can paint all you want, but unless you can get to the inside of the rails it will rust to dust in a couple years. I bought a aluminum trailer for my 6500# 26' Chris Craft...it was expensive, but it will not rust and last a very long time. For my 200 speedster, I keep my boat on the lift and only pull it off every month to give it a fine washing and wax, so the trailer is isn't used much, and rinsed good, after each use...Galvanized is the way to go...never steel in saltwater. Steel Trailers have a life span of about 3 years in salt water.

Karl

Agreed. When I bought my boat they wanted to upgrade me to a galvanized trailer for ~$250. Since I am all freshwater lakes I stayed with the painted trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back