DOCKING ASSISTANCE CABLE ISSUE 1997 seadoo speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwinco

I was out on the water the other day do a bunch of power turns and something popped and steering went a little wonky. I managed to get back to the dock and started looking at things and it looks like the steering cable is ok, but the 2 "docking assistance" cables are completely slack. I've got a shop manual and I'm looking through the literature and the info on the cables is really lacking. Has anyone else dealt with these before? I haven't had a chance to get too deep into it but if anyone has experience with these any tips or guidance would be helpful.

Just to summarize -

Steering works but the wheel feels loose and sloppy.
The 2 thin steel cables going to the steering rack and completely loose.

1997 seadoo speedster twin 787 engines

Ok, so just a quick follow up. I figured out why my steering is sloppy but still sort of working - the outer sheath ruptured. Anyone think this can be fixed without changing the entire steering cable? I can hold it in place with my hand - I'm thinking of trying to clean it and use some kind of strong tape. Maybe that stuff people use for repairing hoses? Thoughts?

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 10
Aaaand a follow up on the docking assistance cables. Here is a picture of them. The throttles work fine but there is no change in the amount of play in these cables as I increase/decrease throttle. It's my understanding that they're supposed to adjust the throttle at low speeds as you turn the wheel in order to help maneuver into the dock. I'm not actually sure these ever worked for me, but I'd like to get them working again. Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

From the manual - " Docking Assistance: Whenever the throttle lever is in idle position and the steering is approach- ing the end of its rotation, the engine speed will be slightly accelerated to in- crease the jet pump thrust and thus improving the steering control for docking.

"

Attachments

• docking assistance cables.jpg
    docking assistance cables.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 11
Also I've been trying to see the routing path on the exploded diagram and it shows part of the cable on the steering diagram, but I cant find where it ties in to the throttle cable. I THINK it's a special cable that is an all-in-one that has a little extension for the steering assist, but I cant quite tell. I need to get someone to help move the cables so I can see where they go - cant trace them on my own

the cables right near number 1 and 2 trace back to the block where they connect. there is an adjustment just ahead of that.

sorry, i just reread your earlier post. that cable cannot be fixed.....i have tried. you will need to replace.

that broken cable could be why your steering assist is not working. there is not enough tension in the throttle cable to include tension on the steering assist cable at the end of the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back