Do I need a paddle on board?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Depends, (no pun in ten did!)

Are your kids well trained? Then you should be able to go for a ride, without it. But, if they are like some I saw at the lake recently, I would not go anyplace without one!

OK OK, just kidding!

I will have to read up on this for Arkansas.

Nate

Thanks for the link. Looks like you don't need one as long as you are wearing an approved jacket (nor do you need a fire extinguisher or bailing device). Since the jacket is required, looks like I'm okay with out a paddle.

The lake I'm on has frequent OPP patrols, so I'm bound to get stopped sooner or later.

In ontario, (lake scugog) We were stopped and we had to have a paddle, whistle, boyant heaving line, fire extinguisher, flashlight and approved life jackets.

We had all of the safety equiptment, but the guy wanted to fine us because our flashlight was one of those waterproof shake and go. (we dont use the sea doo that often so this eliminates changing the batteries) he said we had to have a battery opperated one. He was a real pain.

As for the paddle, it is great to have. our starter went and I had to paddle back to our dock. I have a collapsable paddle and it saved my ass a couple times.

I ride up to beamans point from home several weekends in the summer and I have all but the flashlight, thanx for the tip, the Ohio rule on the whistle is each rider needs one on the floatation vest - makes sense cause you want to use it after you fall off.

Thats a good idea having a whistle on each life jacket. And for anyone new to the sport reading this. Only use non-pea whistles. FOX 40 WHISTLES work great and work when wet.

In ontario, (lake scugog) We were stopped and we had to have a paddle, whistle, boyant heaving line, fire extinguisher, flashlight and approved life jackets.

According to Transport Canada:

Safety equipment you must have on board

Every time you go out on the water, make sure the following items are on board and are in good condition:

Always wear your lifejacket or personal flotation device when on the water. It could save your life.

The law states that you must have a lifejacket or PFD that fits each person on your PWC or any person you are towing. If you don't, you could be fined $200 on the spot. Choose a Canadian-approved lifejacket or PFD with three or more chest straps so it won't fall off if you hit the water at high speed. Choose brightly coloured lifejackets that are easy to see.

A valid Pleasure Craft Licence Number
A floating tow line at least 15 metres long
A sound signal (a pealess whistle is OK)
A watertight flashlight or three Canadian-approved type A, B or C flares.

While they are very useful, you do not need the items below if each person on board is wearing a lifejacket or PFD that fits well:

a paddle or anchor with at least 15 metres of rope, cable or chain;
a bailer or hand pump; and
a 5BC fire extinguisher.

So as long as you are wearing a life jacket, you are not required to have a paddle or extinguisher. And, if you do have an extinguisher and paddle, you don't need to wear your life jacket - as long as there is one on board. You might have a hard time explaining that to the OPP though.

Back