Do I need a new ride on floating dock for my 4-stroke? New ski still in some water!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish1

I have two of the older SportPort ride on floating docks. they worked fine for my older 2 stroke, lighter skis (96 GTX 575 pounds) and a 99 GSX Limited (530 pounds).

I just got a 2011 Wake 155 (748 pounds) and it appears is a little too heavy for the floating dock. The back end of te ski is nt completely out of the water. Is this something to worry about?

I'd hate to get another floating ride on dock (they're not cheap), but I would also hate to not take care of my new ski the way it should be cared for.

See attached and let me know if you think its okay as is, or if I need to get a new dock.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    796 KB · Views: 57
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 61
I have two of the older SportPort ride on floating docks. they worked fine for my older 2 stroke, lighter skis (96 GTX 575 pounds) and a 99 GSX Limited (530 pounds).

I just got a 2011 Wake 155 (748 pounds) and it appears is a little too heavy for the floating dock. The back end of te ski is nt completely out of the water. Is this something to worry about?

I'd hate to get another floating ride on dock (they're not cheap), but I would also hate to not take care of my new ski the way it should be cared for.

See attached and let me know if you think its okay as is, or if I need to get a new dock.

Thanks all!

I don't think it's "that bad" but then again that's coming from someone who's never used a floating dock before if it were me I would feel more comfortable with the ski completely out of water.. There are alot of vital parts back there that could corrode.. Even faster in salt water

I'm glad ya picked up the wake 155.. Post some pics with the cover off when you can !!

Personally I would have no problem with that. As long as you take care of it and make sure no gunk decides to grow on it you should be fine. Usually when I spend a weekend at the cabin mine sits in the water all weekend long either tied to a sea wall or sand screw.

Do I need a new ride on floating dock for my 4-stroke? New ski still in some ...

How easy would it be to put some kind of a bladder or even an inner tube under the dock.

Let the air out when you want to go ride. When you are done and docked put air in it.

It would easy and be cheap.

I think it would take very little air to get it out of the water. A minute of your time with a hand air pump, like a bike tire pump.

Can you confirm the dock has no water in it now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of trying to figure something out like you suggested castlejoe. Just not sure how I would go about it.

I would need to figure something more permanent out, rather than inflating a deflating all the time.

I wonder if there's some way to attach a couple floatation pieces under the port permanently. Not sure what to use, or how to attach that permanently.

Any ideas of what I could add under the port and how to attach it?

I was thinking of trying to figure something out like you suggested castlejoe. Just not sure how I would go about it.

I would need to figure something more permanent out, rather than inflating a deflating all the time.

I wonder if there's some way to attach a couple floatation pieces under the port permanently. Not sure what to use, or how to attach that permanently.

Any ideas of what I could add under the port and how to attach it?

I'm just guessing here, how about something on the side instead of underneath. Wouldn't it have almost the same effect? I'd guess that something on the side of the dock would be easier than underneath.

How about boat fenders?

Probably only take like 3 of them. Tie them to each other side to side then put them under the float like a raft.

Is there any holes on the side to run line through? If so, you can tie the line from each end of the floats there.

How about boat fenders?

Probably only take like 3 of them. Tie them to each other side to side then put them under the float like a raft.

Is there any holes on the side to run line through? If so, you can tie the line from each end of the floats there.

Years ago a coupla buds and I were talking about somethin similar. Alot of hard to reach ramps are pretty steep. Putting a boat into the water wasn't bad...cause the boat would float soon. The hard part came when taking a boat out of a steep ramp. Our idea was to take 4" pvc....cap the ends of two lengths, say...6'-8' long, then u-bolt them to the under side of the trailer. Our thought....it would give the trailer a positive bouency(sp?)make driving the boat onto the trailer..much easier.

Anyway....I'm sure adding floats under the raft shouldn't be that big a prob.

Years ago a couple of buds and I were talking about something similar. A lot of hard to reach ramps are pretty steep. Putting a boat into the water wasn't bad...cause the boat would float soon. The hard part came when taking a boat out of a steep ramp. Our idea was to take 4" pvc....cap the ends of two lengths, say...6'-8' long, then u-bolt them to the under side of the trailer. Our thought....it would give the trailer a positive bouency(sp?)make driving the boat onto the trailer..much easier.

Anyway....I'm sure adding floats under the raft shouldn't be that big a prob.

R2B....did it work?

You could get trailer rollers and strap/mount them to the rear of the float. It would elevate the ski forcing the dock deeper which would give added bouncy Might be enough to do the job.

You could experiment by simply picking the back end up and putting a couple of 2X4s there to see if it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back