DESS Killing Battery...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez540r

So I have come across some conflicting threads...(Not necessarily all here)

It seems to be the concensus that the DESS system, even without the lanyard attached and sitting in your garage, is always pulling a current draw from the battery. Supposedly enough to highly effect the battery in a matter of weeks. However, and this is where the questions comes in, some people are saying that around 2002 or so SEADOO corrected the issue and newer years should be fine.

Curious cause I'm prepping for spring and about to buy a new battery and relocate, so while I'm at it I was going to put in a switch...

Dess...

So I have come across some conflicting threads...(Not necessarily all here)

It seems to be the concensus that the DESS system, even without the lanyard attached and sitting in your garage, is always pulling a current draw from the battery. Supposedly enough to highly effect the battery in a matter of weeks. However, and this is where the questions comes in, some people are saying that around 2002 or so SEADOO corrected the issue and newer years should be fine.

Curious cause I'm prepping for spring and about to buy a new battery and relocate, so while I'm at it I was going to put in a switch...

Don't know where you got that one from, but it's not true. The current draw on the MPEM is 5 volts. And then, it's not really used.

What will run down the battery is the bilge pump (if so equipped). The automatics of this pump is not controlled by anything. There is no way to shut it off outside of disconnecting it. The first year I had my boat, new battery, 3 days later it was dead. Traced my electricals out and found live current to the bilge pump. Then realized the auto sensor was cheap and un-reliable. Dump Seadoo's auto system and hook a auto float bilge up to your battery.

If it is not the bilge, you have a live short somewhere. You'll want to check each wire. But, you'll only have 33 seconds to do it. Once you press the start/stop button, the MPEM's electrical timer comes on to supply 33 seconds of power. IF it picks up no start, it'll shut down the electronics in 33 seconds.

So, your problem is something other than the DESS system........

I appreciate your response...

I don't have a problem right now, but had heard this rumor and figured if it was true, and while I was replacing the battery, etc. I would wire in a switch to save the new battery going in. My ski is always on a trailer so no bilge pump issues.

Weird cause I have seen many threads on another forum stating peoples batteries are being killed while in the garage for 3 weeks due to this "draw" from DESS

Crock....

I appreciate your response...

I don't have a problem right now, but had heard this rumor and figured if it was true, and while I was replacing the battery, etc. I would wire in a switch to save the new battery going in. My ski is always on a trailer so no bilge pump issues.

Weird cause I have seen many threads on another forum stating peoples batteries are being killed while in the garage for 3 weeks due to this "draw" from DESS

Thats a crock... Though, I do know if you leave any type motor using a motorcycle battery sit for any real period of time, without running, it'll wear down. But, it's not caused by the mpem.......

In todays electronics, you'll notice when you connect your car battery, you'll see that small spark. This is an initial charge to the electronics but it's not a current draw.

The same is true for our skis/boats........ Your mpem will not run down the battery.......

re:battery/dess

With you on that Snipe.
I am a battery wholesaler/retailer and the no.1 cause of flat batteries in pwc/motorbike or boys toys of any sort is the battery sitting for long periods without being used. It's due to sulphation.
The best and easiest remedy is to charge or trickle charge the battery evry 4 to 6 weeks even when your using the pwc during season.
It's quite sad to see a dude down the beach with the latest 255is with all the bells and whistles and a crappy battery strands his beast.

You got it!

With you on that Snipe.
I am a battery wholesaler/retailer and the no.1 cause of flat batteries in pwc/motorbike or boys toys of any sort is the battery sitting for long periods without being used. It's due to sulphation.
The best and easiest remedy is to charge or trickle charge the battery evry 4 to 6 weeks even when your using the pwc during season.
It's quite sad to see a dude down the beach with the latest 255is with all the bells and whistles and a crappy battery strands his beast.

I'd say you do know something about batteries, with the mention of sulphation.

Yes, sitting dormant is a killer. That and cold temps....:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back