Crank case halves sealant?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpugatlanta

Just about to reassemble my 2000 787 rfi motor. When i split the cases, which were stock. I don't see any traces of any sealant from the original assembly. Maybe a bit that looks like it may have squeezed into the bolt holes (red in color) but was that from the bolt? I plan to use a sealant, but is there actually a sealant from the factory?

Could i used Permatex 80062 high tack gasket sealant? When i used this on older vintage carbs o-rings where it was an issue finding a replacement o-ring, (and having fuel leak reusing o-ring) it worked perfect.

The factory used loctite 518? But you should use threebond 1211 or yamabond, not the loctite. You can order the 1211 online. Make sure those surfaces are clean, use a lint free rag and some acetone. Also make sure you clean the threads on the bolts and the cases so you get a good and proper torque.

Good luck with the build!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

The factory used loctite 518? But you should use threebond 1211 or yamabond, not the loctite. You can order the 1211 online. Make sure those surfaces are clean, use a lint free rag and some acetone. Also make sure you clean the threads on the bolts and the cases so you get a good and proper torque.

Good luck with the build!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Yep.... what he said.

I tried Hylomar on my last engine build. (Damn tube of threebond 1211 got hard!) And it is really good too. It is used to seal precision mating surfaces (mostly bearing pedestals on large turbines) It dries tacky, but not hard, withstands any oil or contaminants and is alot easier to clean off than traditional gasket maker.

http://www.hylomarsealant.com/

I have been using three bond 1194 on two strokes for years. It works well, just not a lot of working time. fills imperfections better than 518. previously used 518 cleans up so easy when rebuilding, where three bond takes a bit more effort to clean up. But in the big picture, hopefully your not splitting the case again after a rebuild! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back