Crack in Tuned Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

After thinking that I had gotten the upper hand on my 1995 speedster today, she threw me another curve ball, and showed off a phenomenal crack in the tuned pipe while on the hose.

Searching the forum, it appears that this is a fairly common problem, and the proper fix is welding it with the sacrificial "slug" replaced, but I'm no welder. So could anyone recommend where to go to get this repaired? Or someone I could send it to for the fix? I would prefer it be someone who knows SeaDoo's, and this particular problem rather than just a local welder.

Also, since we are winding down to the end of the season, would it be worthwhile to go ahead and send the other pipe off to be fixed proactively?

As always, the advise is greatly appreciated!

Yes, you should go ahead and get both fixed and I would go ahead and do both plugs on the downhill side. [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] has the plugs at a very reasonable price, 5.00ea and 5.00 shipping so the 4 plugs you need would be $25.00. As far as welding the plugs any welding shop with a tig welder should be able to do the job, no need to send them off and pay the extra freight. To save some money you can grind the holes yourself. You will need a new exhaust gasket, but as I understand the copper washer can be reused.

Here's a thread that racerxxx recently did on the subject.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...st-plug-cap-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them

Lou

Thanks, LD! Quick question. Are there any plugs on the lower pipe that I would need to worry about? Figure if I have to park the boat for a bit, it would be better to get everything done at once.

Nope, there are actually four in the upper pipe, but I've never seen the two on the top of the pipe rot through. So you really only need to replace the lower ones, on the underside of the pipe.

Lou

I've got plenty of the plugs/caps in stock. You should be able to get a local welder to do it pretty cheap. Especially if you have it prepped for them. I pay $10 a hole to have them done, but I deliver it ready to weld meaning I grind off the old plug.

Got the PayPal, they'll be packed tonight and shipped tomorrow morning. You should get the tracking info tonight when I make the shipping label.

Thanks again, any questions or concerns just shoot me an email.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Racer. Any advise from anyone on grinding off the old slug and weld? Given that it is exhaust, I'm not thinking that it will need too much precision, but are there things to watch out for, or do's and don'ts?

Just make it look like the pics in my other thread (linked earlier) and I try and keep the surface as flat as I can. Just go all the way down and remove all the weld. Just keep laying tone on there until it looks flat and doesn't rock. Eazy peazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back