Couple of 787 seal questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine465

Since I'm replacing the crank in my 96 GTX, I was thinking about replacing the rotary shaft seal. Looks like the brass gear and spring are held in place by a couple of circlips, but is the bearing pressed on the shaft? Can the seal be replaced without taking it to a machine shop?

Second, one of the seal on the counter-balance shaft looks ratty on the outside, like it was torn on installation. The interior sealing surface looks fine and the other seal appears undamaged. This definitely looks like it needs to got to a machine shop to press off the counter-balancer to get to the seals. Would it be ok to use a sealing compound on the damaged part of the seal when installing to keep from having to buy a rebuild shaft?

Even though there is a clip... the bearing still has a light press fit to keep it from spinning on the shaft.

If you take it to a shop is up to you, but you do need to take care that the bearing is pulled, and pressed back on straight. I recommend using a press... but it can be done with a brass hammer, and a bearing plate. Or a better choice for the home mechanic, a bearing plate and a bolt on style steering wheel puller.

Here's what the balancer seal looks like. Looks like it didn't seat properly when the case was closed. SBT has a refurb for $60, but who knows how much shipping is.

GTX%20Engine%20031resize.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back