Corroded tuned pipe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pramac

I have a 2006 3D DI that melted the two rear plastic resonators. I took the tuned pipe out of the ski on the weekend and found it has a couple of these plugs corroded through. I'm thinking this might be the reason my exhaust got so hot, what are your thoughts? Has this happened to anybody else here?

Attachments

• DSC00406.JPG
    DSC00406.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00407.JPG
    DSC00407.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00409.JPG
    DSC00409.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00410.JPG
    DSC00410.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
normal....

I have a 2006 3D DI that melted the two rear plastic resonators. I took the tuned pipe out of the ski on the weekend and found it has a couple of these plugs corroded through. I'm thinking this might be the reason my exhaust got so hot, what are your thoughts? Has this happened to anybody else here?

This is, in my opinion, a design flaw in the BRP engineering of this part. It happens to all of them. I have 2-787cc's that this has been found on. Some will say take it to a shop and have the plugs re-welded. For me, that fix is a bit expensive. What I did 3 years ago to mine was use a dremel tool to grind out all the white calcium chloride stuff that is to blame for this, then take some marine grade JB weld and form fit it to the hole. I had one that was pretty big so I used a small piece of aluminum screen, then put the patch on over it.

This happens because that part of your tuned pipe is a type of heat exchanger that is designed to preheat your cooling water to keep thermal shock (from riders who live and ride in some of the coldest waters) at minimum before the cooling water enters the motor. Well, there is a downside to this. All water has suspended positive and negative charged ion minerals in it and when it is heated, the minerals will leach out of the water and adhere to any metal surface like a magnet. Once the buildup gets extreme, it begins to eat away at the weakest part of your metal. Thats why you get the leaks.

You see one now but if you tap around on those plugs around those pipes, you may find more weaker areas.

My JB weld fix has lasted for over 3 years now, into the 4th and there are still no leaks. But, proper preparation is key to getting a good fix to this problem..........:cheers:

Hi seadoosnipe thanks for the response. The water flows in one end of the pipe then comes out the other end and then via a hose gets put into the exhaust system to flow through the muffler and out the rear of the ski. Since water would have been leaking out of these holes into the hull instead of flowing through the exhaust this would have cause the plastic resonators to overheat, correct? I have been quoted A$140 to replace all 7 plugs on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back