Converting my 2up Spark to a 3up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Your Done!!

I finally had the chance to go water test my new 3 up extension, i have to tell you I absolutely love it!

I could literally maneuver myself to one side of the Spark without too much effort, I could never do that with my XP 800, I would tip over easily, and not so good with my 2up

Also funny how it seems, but reboarding in shallow water is way easier with the extension as well, all the 3 up owners always enjoyed this, what i mean is..

after beaching my spark to take in some sun, i decided to go back out on the water, so i pushed my spark back in the water, turned it forward and pushed it in, its not safe to start your spark too close to shore, you might get something caught in the impeller and ruin your fun day at the lake.

So I was able to easily reboard in 4 feet of water without the craft losing its stability as before, im a big guy, i weigh 260 pounds, so this is a blessing to me

I havent tried reboarding in deep water, the water was way too cold for me to try, but as soon as i can ill come back and report. But i can tell by how stable it is now with the extra foam and bouyancy, and extension, that it feels and looks like its going to be breeze now to reboard in deep water.

Also the fun factor is still there, the 3 up extension didn't take literally anything away from the sparks playfulness, it took very little in my opinion, if you don't care about buoyancy, more stability, to easily reboard in deep water, or you didnt have a problem before with your 2 up, than maybe you dont need to add this extension,

But if your a big guy like me, wanted more stability in the water, to be able to easily reboard in deep water without a struggle, then the 3 up extension is for you! remember it adds 100 more pounds of bouyancy to the spark.

Also, after adding my 3 up extension, the 3 up seat and all the parts mentioned My Spark Now has Every Piece & Part # that a 3 up spark comes with from factory

Some might argue that it doesnt legally make it a 3 up, I dont know thats for you to decide...

Next week im adding the front storage bin, so another DIY coming up!!
here are some pictures of the new stability of the 3 up, this is me both feet on one side:
90CF774C-F140-45C1-BF6A-52298A1F51E3.JPG

Also the 3 up extension on water:

EC346DC9-A943-4C92-8630-D76A0D3A0263.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all my pieces for the 3 up seat came in! im stoked, and im happy to report to you, that im done! after much consideration i decided to drill the 3 up handle support instead of taking the top off, the reason i did that was because i felt the integrity of the tow hook would be jeopardized, also i didnt want to remove the seal between the top deck and bottom deck yet..also i can always go back to 2 up in a matter of 5 minutes if i feel like it! :)

I had to drill the 3 up handle support piece:
A713CEDF-D7A3-42D0-BF94-7626B306B93E.JPG

voila:

FC15B8CC-A2CB-4BDD-8329-3A2BF2B932E3.JPG

i also decided to install the front storage bin, and change the oil, that would be for another diy project :)
4C4E025F-F63B-4EFE-B3BD-E2D0B46E388A.JPG

and done:

2F62C59C-FC18-4C2A-87B7-901BFDF1CDE6.JPG

C7087AC4-FAAD-48BD-B3E2-E83A6BD6B383.JPG

Well, I'm not really done, what I meant is I'm done putting up the 3 up extension, and the 3 up seat, we still have to install a real reboard swing type ladder like the big skis, I'm not that happy with the Sparks "reboard step".

If you are happy with the current reboard step than you don't have to do any more reading, I however want to try reboarding soon just using the current reboard step, and see how I like it.. if I don't like it, than I will be visiting Aqua performance to design a swing ladder for my spark.. see you soon :)

Super cool project. BUT, what's the legality of it? Yes, it's an honest "3 UP" spark now... but you could get a ranger who is a jack-off if you don't have the little sticker on the back saying it's weight, and rider cap. Not to mention, in SoCal... the coast guard takes that sticker VERY serious. (it's the official weight placard)

If you remove it... it's actually illegal. If it's not there, and they run the HIN number... it will come up as a 2-up. OK... I highly doubt you will ever get checked that tight (other than on Mead or Puddle-stone) But I just wanted to throw that out.

With that all said... depending how this turns out, and the price for the parts... I may do the same thing. LOL (buy a base 60, get the tuner, and 3-up parts and save $$$)

Actually the goal for most of the 2 up Spark owners I talked to that wanted to add the 3 up extension was to make it more stable, and help in reboarding in deep water, I know that was my goal, some are even fishing off the back.

Actually the legality of it never came into play for most us.. maybe for some, but in all honesty even a 3 up from factory is not an ideal ski for 3 large adults, the weight limit is 450 lbs, it can probably handle 3 - 150 pound men.

Dr. Honda, question can you buy that sticker that says 2 up or 3 up, I noticed it's just an adhesive label, in case of an accident can a shop rebuy that sticker?

Just a question I'm not advocating anything illegal here.. even though in reality, the spark 3 up is just a 2 up with the parts I installed above, heck there's a guy that bought a 2 up that says 3 up on his sticker lol on another forum lol.. I guess they screwed up from the factory :)

Well I went to the lake today to try to reboard in deep water, so the test went very very good, not great, but a lot better than before, I did 5 consecutive tries in deep water and I was able to reboard much more easily than before, I was even able to lay on the extension platform till I caught my breath lol..

What's more valuable though is that it gave me a lot more confidence in the machine

Honestly I would be skeptical in venturing out far out into say The Belmont Shores coast or to all around the Orange County Coastline.

Now I feel about 90% better in having the confidence in reboarding in deep water. However I still do not like the reboard step, so a visit to aqua performance is in the making. I'm sure with a swing down reboard ladder, this issue would be done and in my rear view mirror :)

Well I went to the lake today to try to reboard in deep water, so the test went very very good, not great, but a lot better than before, I did 5 consecutive tries in deep water and I was able to reboard much more easily than before, I was even able to lay on the extension platform till I caught my breath lol..

What's more valuable though is that it gave me a lot more confidence in the machine

Honestly I would be skeptical in venturing out far out into say The Belmont Shores coast or to all around the Orange County Coastline.

Now I feel about 90% better in having the confidence in reboarding in deep water. However I still do not like the reboard step, so a visit to aqua performance is in the making. I'm sure with a swing down reboard ladder, this issue would be done and in my rear view mirror :)

Over time, you will get more comfortable with loading. It is a learned skill...

Over time, you will get more comfortable with loading. It is a learned skill...

Really Castlejoe? I bet your skis are much better in reboarding, have you ever tried reboarding on a 96 XP 800, it was a nightmare for me, it was so bad I immediately had to get rid of it, because there wasn't a fix for it, everything I did to it was to no avail.

How is the ski performing [MENTION=28488]cheappc[/MENTION] ?

How is the ski performing [MENTION=28488]cheappc[/MENTION] ?

I love it, it's a lot better than the 2up in regards to stability and reboarding but it's still a strugle compared to a real 3 seater.. I'm weighing 250 so maybe that's why but let's see when I put the swing down ladder reboard like in the bigger skis.. I think it would be a lot better.

love it, it's a lot better than the 2up in regards to stability and reboarding but it's still a strugle compared to a real 3 seater.. I'm weighing 250 so maybe that's why but let's see..

I never would run three people on my 3up spark. three kids yes, but not three adults. Riding around with two adults 220/160 was way too much. So if just treats as a two up then he should be good.

Could you post a picture of the new re-boarding ladder? I personally hate the knee boarding step and would like a bar.

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am glad I found this thread! I just bought a new 2016 Spark HO with IBR for my wife and she is already wanting to add the extension to it! ( Mainly because she thinks it looks better!! ) I would probably just do the extension part first, maybe add the 3up seat later?

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am glad I found this thread! I just bought a new 2016 Spark HO with IBR for my wife and she is already wanting to add the extension to it! ( Mainly because she thinks it looks better!! ) I would probably just do the extension part first, maybe add the 3up seat later?

Go for it you don't need the seat yet

I was just wondering, if I don't replace the seat with a 3up seat, would it be too much of a reach for her to pull up from the back? Also, we have the IBR, does that have to be extended as well or are the parts that you listed all that are necessary? Thx, Rick

quick question...
i am doing the same modification right now.

How many holes did you have to drill to do this? It looks like right above the tow line I have to drill two holes.

How did you address this?

i saw you cut a slot for the tow hook. above that there are support studs inside the seat support. did you drill for those?

great write upp you would not happen to stll have the pics from the last 3 post on page 1 would you they say

fyi,
I did not drill the holes for the seat support. no ill effects as of yet at least.

also, i did not cut a slot like the Op did for the tow hook. I took off the rear deck and properly attached it.

Back