Control Handle wiring help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulp

Hey all. Been following the forum for years. First time I've needed to post a thread for some help.
My 2003 Utopia 205 jet boat control handle was getting very stiff and wife couldn't operate it. I took it out , adjust and lubed and it worked great. Guess what though. I accidentally pulled the wiring loose from the assy when removing. First it wouldn't start so I figured out I had pulled these wires loose. I bypassed the neutral safety switch and got it to start fine. But the ECM/DSS System will not let the engine rev over 1500 RPMs now. I start it and then open the neutral safety switch wires but the system still recognizes the wiring issue and will not allow higher RPMs.
See the photo attached. Can anyone please tell me where the paired blue and black wires from the control get wired into? Also, the smaller gauge individual black wire on the back side of the switch needs a home too. Any idea where I can run it to to restore the original circuit?
I have looked everywhere in the hull for where these wires may have gotten pulled loose from with no avail. I assume I will just have to find where they go and extend to the right location. Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

Control handle.jpg

Usually, there are 2 wires from a switch, like your blue & black pair. It looks like they come from a microswitch that confirms shifter position. Your single black wire- are you SURE that it is only a single wire; not a pair with one that has been ripped out? Your control looks simpler than my 2001, but mine has 2 pair of wires.

Small wires easily fall down into the bilge (as mine did when I replaced the shifter cable).

You need a hull wiring diagram (duh). I have one...... somewhere

Usually, there are 2 wires from a switch, like your blue & black pair. It looks like they come from a microswitch that confirms shifter position. Your single black wire- are you SURE that it is only a single wire; not a pair with one that has been ripped out? Your control looks simpler than my 2001, but mine has 2 pair of wires.

Small wires easily fall down into the bilge (as mine did when I replaced the shifter cable).

You need a hull wiring diagram (duh). I have one...... somewhere

Thanks Tim. I indeed used an endoscope camera looking for wires in the hull or bilge, but so far haven't located anything that I may have pulled loose. And good suggestion on the single wire , I will check it out.
I may just have to figure out where those wires terminated elsewhere and extend replacement wires to that point. I really appreciate the feedback guys.

On my boat (2001), there is a pair (light blue, dark blue) that goes into the boat harness in the helm box. It is at a T junction (2 small bundles meet a larger bundle at 90º. You may have some untaping to get into the harness. Still have not found anything on the other wires.

On my boat (2001), there is a pair (light blue, dark blue) that goes into the boat harness in the helm box. It is at a T junction (2 small bundles meet a larger bundle at 90º. You may have some untaping to get into the harness. Still have not found anything on the other wires.
I am impressed. Thank you for continuing to help with this. I have not been able to get to the Lake for a couple of weeks, work as a paramedic and doing lots of extra shifts. I should get down there this weekend and I will look into your advice. I cant thank you enough. I know there are several black and blue pairs in some of the harnesses under the control cowl. Some go to bilge pumps and nav lights etc.
Ill try to make more sense of it.
Thanks again

Look at the physical wire size. The smaller wires, like what is on your control, are signal wires. They don't carry any significant current. The larger wires carry some amount of current, like what goes to the bilge pump.

Follow-up-
The single wire you have is 2 wires from the sensor in my boat. Appears to be the same sensor/mag. switch. There is a snap connector to 2 yellow w/ red stripe wires and heads down and aft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back