Common maintenance items for an '03 Speedster w/240 EFI?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeantZ

I recently bought an '03 Speedster with the Merc 240 and was hoping you guys could help me find some correct part numbers for standard maintenance items. I've only had the boat a few months now and want to freshen things up a bit since it's 10 years old. I have already put in new plugs and am in the process of changing the jet drive lubes. The boat runs great but smokes quite a bit which I heard could be a symptom of a failing port-side head temp sensor. I also have a few other items I'm trying to find but can't seem to locate on Crowley's website or my service manual:

My motor is titled as an '03 but has an '02 model number: S240J30ZS serial number: OE412280

-Fuel filters (Inline, water separator, final filter part numbers?)
-Temp sensor (part #889575? for just port or both sides?)

Also, could someone explain, or better yet, show pictures of where all filters are located? Also the temp sensor/s? The service manual diagram doesn't look anything like the rats nest from the fuel tank to the motor in my boat. Thanks!

Go to boats.net, select Mercury parts on the left side of the page, then select sport jet. From there you can use the motor's serial number to find the Microfiche diagrams for your motor. I generally buy all of my Mercury parts from them.

Yep... what he said. But... I'll get you started......

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...ET DRIVE (POWERHEAD)/0E406400 & Up/parts.html

You can find the filter part numbers under the "Fuel Pump" section, and the "Vapor separator" sections. And the temp sender should be under the "Cyl head" section.

With that said... you have the newer engine design, and most of the focus we talking bout here has been on the older 240 engine. But... I guess we need to learn more about the new style, since they are the next engines to start needing parts.

Smoke is subjective. I've recently rebuild my engine, and tested almost everything... and my engine will smoke it idle more than other 2-strokes I've owned. But, since we are in a new season... I plan on checking over everything, once I burn out the old fuel.

I'm going to read though the manual for the newer 240, and I'll see if I can find any insight to the ECU, and sensor interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both of you for the assistance! I looked through the categories on boats.net and this is what I've compiled so far:

1. Filter, Fuel -- Part #852546T
2. Filter Kit, Fuel -- Part #18458T 4
3. Filter -- Part #885188
4. Sensor Assembly, Temp -- Part #858535
5. O-Ring -- Part #62702 1

Questions (correspond to parts list above):
1. How do I know if I need Design 1 or 2? According to the IPB, one is Painted while the other is Stainless.
2. Is this water separator filter?
3. Is this the "final filter" that is not normally changed as preventative maintenance?
4 and 5. There is a temp sensor on each head correct? Is there a way to test them before I buy new ones or are these just considered maintenance items as well?

Thanks again guys!

Also, as far as the smoking is concerned, it may be entirely normal. All of my toys are generally 4-stroke so this is new to me.

1) That pump hasn't changed... so I'm sure either filter will work. BUT... just look at yours now. Is it metallic, or painted?

2) Yes. That looks like your water separator filter.

3) I'm not sure what that little guy is for... but it's cheap, so you may as well change it.

4) Yes. that's your temp sender. And yes... you can test them. Just check them with a meter. It can't hurt to change them... but we haven't had anyone complaining about them yet on the 2002 and newer engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back