Clogged 11-Tine Rock grate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racereddie

Down here in the Florida Keys there is alot of floating seaweed. I have the 11 tine Stainless steel intake grate. Not a single rock will go through but when it collects seaweed it clogs the grate and in this case the boat was slowed from 29mph to 20mph. :toetap05: Good news is you can just jump out and clean it out.:thumbsup: Not so good if the water is cold or in a lake with alligators:eek:

[video=youtube_share;JaGqjukUN8U]http://youtu.be/JaGqjukUN8U[/video]

Also it doesn't matter how fast because even at idle that intake is sucking up the water and any seaweed in the area.

Eddie

In some ways... the other grate is better. It lets some of that past.

There's always a give and take. (cool pic though)

In some ways... the other grate is better. It lets some of that past.

There's always a give and take. (cool pic though)

I agree completely, we went 17 miles to a dive site and had to stop 5 times to unclog it. Not a real issue when the water is this clear and 84 degrees, but still it got annoying. When I got the boat it had the 11 tines. Have to rethink getting the 6 tine since I really don't boat in places with alot of rocks.

Eddie

Have to rethink getting the 6 tine since I really don't boat in places with alot of rocks.

Eddie

Personally... you have to be running in a lot of very shallow water to justify the "Rock" grate. It was really for running on rivers. I would think that you have at least 3 or 4 ft anywhere you go. It's not like rocks float. (lol)

Personally... you have to be running in a lot of very shallow water to justify the "Rock" grate. It was really for running on rivers. I would think that you have at least 3 or 4 ft anywhere you go. It's not like rocks float. (lol)

While I haven't had rocks go though my GTI while moving I have had a few pass through while sitting in neutral in 5' of water. With the jet wash going straight down it ready does stir things up. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the old ski's as your always moving but the new ones are a different beast that I have to break my old habits on.lol

I agree completely, we went 17 miles to a dive site and had to stop 5 times to unclog it. Not a real issue when the water is this clear and 84 degrees, but still it got annoying. When I got the boat it had the 11 tines. Have to rethink getting the 6 tine since I really don't boat in places with alot of rocks.

Eddie

I purchased the 6 tine grate... We do not have alot of sea weed here in Virginia where we boat.. However we have a very shallow marina with shells and rocks.... Was re-thinking the 11 tine... So maybe a swap ?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the 6 tine grate... We do not have alot of sea weed here in Virginia where we boat.. However we have a very shallow marina with shells and rocks.... Was re-thinking the 11 tine... So maybe a swap ?

Mike

I can work with that, but let me get home from the Keys and make sure I can get it off without a fiasco, the bolts are not rusted but I have not removed it before. Once I get to that I will take some pictures then we can shift to a PM and work out the details.

Eddie

Hey Mike
I finally got the time to take the grate off. Here are the pictures. IMG_20120817_181906.jpg IMG_20120817_181855.jpg. The front two bolts are 10mm while the rear bolt are a star/tork head. Are those the same that are used on the 6 tine.

Eddie

Sounds good!

Eddie
By the way, mine game with the boat in Dec 2010 so I don't know how old it is exactly, but as you can see it has most of its coating on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back