Clogged Water Intake With Seaweed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Sea Doo 4-Tec Sportster. Whenever I operate the boat in seaweed the water intake clogs up making it difficult to plane. Is there something that can be installed on the ride plate to correct this? If not how can I remove the seaweed while still in the water? Sometime it helps to run in reverse while revving the engine.
Usually I have to put the boat on the trailer and remove the seaweed from the driveshaft with a three fingered tool as the opening is not large enough to allow my hand access. I try not to operate my boat in less than 5 foot of water to prevent sucking up anything off the bottom. Any ideas?

On another note when I operate the boat in rough water sometimes waves come over the bow soaking the occupants. Is there a windshield available to install on the bow area to make it less chance of happening?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you are in such weedy areas,,usually shutting the engine loosens the weeds…sounds crazy,,but I always carry goggles in care I need to make the”dive”.truly,,,avoid the area ween the weeds are present.

If you are in such weedy areas,,usually shutting the engine loosens the weeds…sounds crazy,,but I always carry goggles in care I need to make the”dive”.truly,,,avoid the area ween the weeds are present.
Lol,

Me too. I have a mask and flippers on board for such tasks.

I also added a knife to my PFD...

Often where I boat, there is a band of weeds sometimes just off the beaches. I get some momentum to shut it down and drift through them to the shore. I also have used my flippers in a few occasions to push the boat back out through them before I start.

LOL!,,I have been surface snorkeling for decades…and as such…will put on my gogg’s and jump into the water to remove debris…warm water of course,,

Try as I may, it's sometimes hard to avoid the weeds. Thanks for your reply.

Lol,

Me too. I have a mask and flippers on board for such tasks.

I also added a knife to my PFD...

Often where I boat, there is a band of weeds sometimes just off the beaches. I get some momentum to shut it down and drift through them to the shore. I also have used my flippers in a few occasions to push the boat back out through them before I start.
Not sure I can hold my breath long enough to remove the weeks. Maybe I need a long neck snorkel. Thanks for your reply.

Where I live the water in the summer will be 71 to 75 degrees. We swim through from May and I try to go once in Oct. The first swim this year was 56 degrees..

You don't stay in for long stints though in the early or late times.

Sure does make you feel alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back