Challenger extended ride plate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without Hyjacking this thread too far... Cobra Jet Steering was invented for Yamaha Jet pumps, but then adapted to the Merc SportJet pumps. It's an adapter that gives it two fins to the bottom of the pump. This adds off-power and improved reverse steering. On the downside, you do add a low point of contact that could hit the bottom, rocks, debris etc.

Check it out here: http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?63125-Rudder&highlight=cobra

Last edited by a moderator:
Learning to drive a jet boat, without the helper fins is the best way. Once you get use to it... its as maneuverable as a twin prop, with a joystick.

That's what we have found as well. It did make my wife happy and that's what really mattered.

I do believe the cobra jet steering made a more dramatic improvement on the Yamaha boats than ours

Exactly what I did a couple yrs ago and it worked great. Have since sold the boat but it made a world of difference in planing and handling.
Definitely use stainless, unless you have some very thick aluminum to try. Guy that bought the boat lives on the lake, and hopefully there's water in the lake!

Aquaman, how is the aluminum holding up? Should be ok if it's thick enough but yours is way longer than mine. Everyone w/a seadoo boat needs to add this small mod, amazing how the easiest and cheapest things improve driveability. If I find a nice Islandia this will be the first thing I do, along with the oil inj. bypass. The only other thing I found that improved performance on these boats was running 0 ethanol gas.

http://http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?64219-No-more-porpoising!&highlight=igneous

Aqua. . . Do you have anymore info regarding the availability of the ride plate? I went last night to pick my challenger up from being serviced.

Aquaman1, im also located in florida (miami) and im interested in the ride plate too!, any info on when you will make them available?

Sorry for the lack of response to this thread. Other things were on top of the to do list. I am in full jet boat mode now. This week I will get some prices on stainless steel and aluminum. The Aluminum ride plate that is on my boat works great, but after several trips to the sand bar it bent upwards. It probably happened when the ride plate hit the sand when anchored. I anchor in very shallow water, knee deep. Last week I flattened out the ride plate and it is as good as new. I want to make one out of SS and test it out on my boat before I am confident in selling them.

Yeah, good job aquaman, but I'd definitely use stainless because it can be much thinner than aluminum and not bend. It's amazing how tuff stainless is. I don't visit this forum much anymore, makes me want another seadoo/merc boat.

I picked up some aluminum and stainless steel today. Went over to the fabricator's shop after and gave him the metal. Unfortunately they are backed up. He said it would be about a week to 10 days. I will keep all you up to date.

I picked up some aluminum and stainless steel today. Went over to the fabricator's shop after and gave him the metal. Unfortunately they are backed up. He said it would be about a week to 10 days. I will keep all you up to date.

Any news??? :thumbsup:

I just picked up the ride plates from the fabricator. They look good. If you want the stainless steel one it is $100 plus shipping. If you want the aluminum version is $80 plus shipping.

image.jpg stainless steel

image.jpg Aluminum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 190
I just picked up the ride plates from the fabricator. They look good. If you want the stainless steel one it is $100 plus shipping. If you want the aluminum version is $80 plus shipping. View attachment 25583

Any reason why this ones have the complete border/bent around it instead of just at the end like the oen you did previous to these? is it so its harder for it to bent? will it affect how the plate works?

I just picked up the ride plates from the fabricator. They look good. If you want the stainless steel one it is $100 plus shipping. If you want the aluminum version is $80 plus shipping. View attachment 25583

A couple important questions:

1. What are the holes on the outside edge for? They are beyond where anything could be bolted
2. What additional hardware is needed to mount it, or are the stock bolts to the right length depending on drop?
3. How much longer is it over the stock plate? I have cobrajet fins, and I need to allow for clearance for them to rotate.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm still interested for sure.

Any reason why this ones have the complete border/bent around it instead of just at the end like the oen you did previous to these? is it so its harder for it to bent? will it affect how the plate works?

Yes the 1/2" bend will strengthen the ride plate, it will not affect the performance.

A couple important questions:

1. What are the holes on the outside edge for? They are beyond where anything could be bolted
2. What additional hardware is needed to mount it, or are the stock bolts to the right length depending on drop?
3. How much longer is it over the stock plate? I have cobrajet fins, and I need to allow for clearance for them to rotate.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm still interested for sure.

The holes on the outside of the plate I just the height. You do not need any additional hardware. The plate is 6 inches longer than stock.

image.jpg

Here's a picture of the stainless steel that I installed on my boat today. Hopefully this picture will help you with the cobra jet fin question.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back