celebration time

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortrun

I just needed someone to celebrate with.
My son (the owner) and I received this ski, our first one, a couple months ago. The engine was apart and in a box. (one piston had been melted)
Yesterday we took it to the Owen Sound Ont. harbor. Put in in the water for the first time, started it up, drove around a little. From the shore the engine sounded good, although it was just rebuilt so the RPM stayed quite low.

Only problem was a little water leaking around 4 holes around the propeller. Turns out the PTO shield is missing and these are the mounting holes. A little chewing gum in these 4 holes and we got our first test drive in.

Nice...you did the engine rebuild?

Yes. My son is a apprentice machinist so he bored the cylinders 0.010 over on a milling machine. We fitted the pistons using a 3 stone (cheap) hone. Compression after assembly was 150 psi both sides.
We also replaced the 4 outer bearings on the crankshaft. New seals and gaskets.

Of course the real test of how good the rebuild job is will be how long the engine lasts.
But so far so good.

i'm curious about these 4 holes for the pto cover...
that doesn't make sense to me.

see the attached picture
57 is the cover and item 29 are the 4 screws.
I suspect SEADOO dropped this design quickly. I cannot find this cover anywhere, but a picture of it in the service manual.

Attachments

• PTO cover.jpg
    PTO cover.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38
what year is this ski? what size engine?
the pto covers are plentiful IMO, I probably have 6 in the garage somewhere.

ps. without the cover, grease will tend to spray goop all over the inside of the hull and make a big ass mess over time.

Thanks for checking
But I think the 1989 PTO shield is a One Year Only design. See my picture in post # 6
I don't see any on ebay or even google images.

Thanks for checking
But I think the 1989 PTO shield is a One Year Only design. See my picture in post # 6
I don't see any on ebay or even google images.

You are correct, there were a lot of things that were only used on the 88 and 89 year models which are not available or hard to find. I'd just make your own from some kydex or abs plastic sheet and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back