Cannot get jet pump off....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spx787

I got my new wear ring and driveline rebuild kit today. I wanted to install the new stuff this evening, however, I cannot get that jet pump off to save my freakin' life!!!!

I took the nozzle off and then took the four nuts off that hold pump on. I can see some silicon on there but it feels like more than just silicon is holding it on there.

I was gonna take the skid plate off so I could get a flathead in there and try to pry the pump loose. I took the screws out of the plate and can't get that damn thing off either. I do not want to break or damage anything so I didn't try manhandling anything.

Any suggestions? How does that skid plate come off? I think if I could get that off then the pump would pry loose.

Ski is a 97 SPX.

I loop rope through the pump and attach it to a come-along. Make sure you disconnect the cooling and bailer lines on the inside of the hull first. They can take a lot of force to remove sometimes.

Even after you get the lines off, may still be stuck on there. Will even seem like you missed a bolt! I usea "morgan knocker" ( a large dent puller tool) that has a chain attachment. It can take some time and force to get it off. I would caution against prying it as you can damage the pump and or the hull...

I haven't gone back to look at it since all the advice given here but I am curious, what the hell is holding that thing on? Like I said, it looks like somebody used silicon on it, but the grip it has seems like more than that. Is it the driveshaft splined into the the impeller?? Also, I will probably end up hooking the trailer up to my blazer because I was pulling the trailer backwards when trying to yank that pump off by hand.

I guess I need to go purchase a come along this evening. Not sure what I am going to attach the hook side that's not on the pump to though.

It's always the jobs that seem they will be simple that kick your ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
one time on a 96 xp that i had, the splines were stuck into the pump, and into the splines in the pto. a few pumps of grease into the pto pushed them out and it popped right off. long shot but could be

I too fought the nozzles on mine earlier this summer. The GTS (metal nozzle) was really stuck. I got it off by using a hammer along with a short piece of scrap 2x4 to knock it side to side and break the silicone loose. I'm not sure if this is a recommended practice, but the wood block with hammer is my go to method for anything that is stuck, and is harder than wood. I go through a lot of wood blocks.

I too fought the nozzles on mine earlier this summer. The GTS (metal nozzle) was really stuck. I got it off by using a hammer along with a short piece of scrap 2x4 to knock it side to side and break the silicone loose. I'm not sure if this is a recommended practice, but the wood block with hammer is my go to method for anything that is stuck, and is harder than wood. I go through a lot of wood blocks.

laff @ the last sentence...

but seriously, I've used a piece of 2x4 several times to get a stubborn pump off,, usually just had to wedge it in there and wiggle/bang it against the side of the hull a couple of times to get it to pop, then pull if off by hand from there.

Yea, the first time I went to go take mine off, I was at my wits end too..until I cleared my head, applied logic, looked into the hull, and noticed that I had to remove the pump lines from inside...I can almost GUARANTEE that's your issue..if you're asking how they're held on, you obviously haven't disconnected them...After that, you'll literally have to just give it a few taps, if at all..

75W90 synthetic gear oil seems to be the choice of oil.

As to getting the pump off, i have a nice easy way. get a small length of chain. attach it to where the pump nozzle mounts using 2 of the bolts (diagonally) and run it in snug them up. you want a fairly small loop of chain. Then sneak a 2x2 piece of wood through the loop and pry away from the hull. Pulls them off like butter. So simple, no special tools, just 2 bolts that you already had to remove.

image.jpg

Well after much strife, I finally got the pump off. Wear ring is fooked! Unfortunately, I somehow broke off the damn water supply nipple. FML! Is there a repair for this or do I have to buy a new pump housing now???

lol You worry too much

Those are about 3 bucks and they screw in and out.

So just find something like and easy out or maybe just a bit flat screw driver and try and unscrew the piece that is still in the threads.

But good job getting that thing out :)

What is that nipple called? I'm guessing SBT will have em? And yea that pump was a pain in my balls. Used a chain, a ratchet strap, a 2x4 and a hammer. Sheeeeesh!!!!

Trying to find the part number. Its a really common part. like the bailer ones are 2$ a piece usually. That one can't be much more.

293-700-019 and its called a pump fitting.

And the ones for the bailer's are
293-700-017

Thanks man! Sucks I can't take the ski out this weekend because I'll be waiting for the part. That's not something I want to jerry rig though. If it happens to break off again while I'm riding, my engine is screwed.

image.jpg

This is what my wear ring looks like.

I've only owned the ski for about 3 months so it's safe to say I've never felt the thing at its full potential with that wear ring lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back