Can a failed Supercharger ruin the flywheel, magneto and pick-up?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Seadoo GTX Supercharged 185

Can a failed Supercharger ruin the flywheel gear, magneto and pick-up?

Finally gave in and brought the GTX to the dealer to diagnose oil warning light coming on. I replaced oil pressure sensors, did injector service, oil change and replaced spark plug tubes and oil light was still, intermittently coming on so I decided to bring it in to a local dealer for the dg.

Diagnose...oil light coming on is due to Bad (inop) supercharger. I'm told supercharger let go and dropped washers, and needle bearings into engine and ruined the flywheel gear, the magneto and the pickup? Any one heard of this issue? I've heard of ruining the oil pumps but never heard of ruining the flywheel assembly? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any debris in the magneto / flywheel area will cause significant damage , usually requires a complete tear down.

Hard to believe the mag and flywheel were ruined knowing it had zero starting problems...and the starter was just replaced last season before the oil pressure light issue. I'm sure a blown supercharger can cause havoc on everything internal but for the mag and flywheel needing replaced to be without any symptoms of failure is a little hard to digest. Dealer was ready to place engine back on mounts and be done with it because the needed oem parts cannot be purchased any longer. 5 minute look on ebay through a reputable seller and back in buisness. Waiting for the parts now. So far job consists of DG, Engine removal, replace Mag and flywheel assembly and rebuild supercharger. Quoted $2500 not including the price of the mag and flywheel. Total job...$2700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back