C2161 Error code - IBR Override wont move actuator - SOLVED

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

cjmurdock

Good Day,
I just rebuilt my pump - was able to use IBR override to move the gate down to do that - no issues.

Put everything back together - IBR override wont move gate or actuator. Gate moves nice and freely. Tried moving it without gate attached and nothing.

Says its in IBR override mode, but moving buttons does nothing, no sounds, no movement, then cluster times out.

I had pulled each fuse and cleaned them up. One had a loose leg which was replaced - the fuse for charging.

It's showing a C2161 code - battery. Battery has been charged and load tested.

It's a 2018 GTI Limited 155

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

thank you for the advice. I had pulled the battery for a couple hours and no difference. I've pulled it again yesterday and will leave it for a day - I also put the neg and positive cables together (without the battery :)) for a bit - it works often in the auto world to reset the ECM's.

Thank you for the response - it seems to be rare in the forums for someone to pipe up to help!

Thanks

If I assume you don’t have buds or a Candoo Pro I think that would be my next step with the reset not working. The 2161 code might be causing issues. Did you disconnect the IBR module with the battery connected?Also on the battery have it load tested properly if that hasn’t been done. ECM will shut down IBR module when it detects a low voltage. Liability issue.

If I assume you don’t have buds or a Candoo Pro I think that would be my next step with the reset not working. The 2161 code might be causing issues. Did you disconnect the IBR module with the battery connected?Also on the battery have it load tested properly if that hasn’t been done. ECM will shut down IBR module when it detects a low voltage. Liability issue.
Thank you!

I don't have BUDS or Candoo Pro - but that is on my list right now :). I haven't disconnected the IBR module. I did put a trickle charger on the battery while in the ski, and cleaned the fuses.

I have load tested the battery and it is only a year old (so I'm told, the ski is new to me) - the load test shows good, but I think I will put a new battery in and see what happens.

I've also noticed that when waking up the ski - when trying to activate the IBR override, that it shuts down after about 10-15 seconds. I think it should be longer that that - Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Bad voodoo to trickle charge battery while it’s in the ski. Hopefully maybe you had the battery cables disconnected from the ski. Many a sad op has fried his ECM with a trickle charger. Download a service manual for your ski. The IBR chapter is long and in depth. The 10-15 seconds sounds like a possible battery issue.

Bad voodoo to trickle charge battery while it’s in the ski. Hopefully maybe you had the battery cables disconnected from the ski. Many a sad op has fried his ECM with a trickle charger. Download a service manual for your ski. The IBR chapter is long and in depth. The 10-15 seconds sounds like a possible battery issue.
thanks - Yea, now aware of the bad voodoo :(... ECM seems to be fine - ski starts fine, no issues there at least.

And just put in a new battery - no change

Last edited:
The ECM is still detecting low voltage to the IBR and not providing its ground. Start checking all your ground and power wires and connections for corrosion, could be a bad rectifier, or magneto. Make sure whatever got unplugged is plugged in it’s right spot.

The ECM is still detecting low voltage to the IBR and not providing its ground. Start checking all your ground and power wires and connections for corrosion, could be a bad rectifier, or magneto. Make sure whatever got unplugged is plugged in it’s right spot.
Thanks much! I checked the charging voltages yesterday and they are to spec. so shouldn't be the rectifier or magneto.

I'm going to replace all the fuses and the 30 amp relay and clean every connection and ground this weekend... Fingers crossed :)

Pay close attention to your big black and red wires, check for resistance/corrosion. The insulation can hide the green cancer.

Problem solved. After checking every ground and cleaning them, battery cables cleaned, I started checking each connector.

Started at the back at the IBR wiring harness, and when inspecting the harness, noticed a small hole in the wrap - into a red wire with lots of green cancer!.. Cut out the bad section, spliced back together and silicone heat shrinked and Poof - all was good.

Thanks for the help skiasylum!

Can you post a link for the downloads site? Thanks!

Back