Bypass oil injection HOWTO ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunblock

Yes I want to bypass my oil injection. Before trying to convince me otherwise lets have some background.

I put three hours on my new to me ski before a carb bolt just past the intake side came loose and got sucked into my bottom end. It was a saltwater motor and just trying to take it apart trashed it. Now I have a new rebuilt short block but my old crappy stator cover and pump. The spring on the pump wont seat right and the cable mount is all corroded and nasty.

Now I would leave the pump intact if it was working and in good shape but while I have much experience rebuilding two strokes, this is my first PWC and I just dont want to put that crappy looking pump back in the loop and risk my new motor. I have read many of the cons of doing this and I must say they do not make sense to me. Fouling plugs, poor lube for the rotary valve, excessive oil consumption etc ...

I run a rotary valve rotax in my Drakart and its injection system was bypassed by the builder. I run 32:1 premix and I run top quality oil. this works out to 20 oz per five gallons and costs more sure but an extra dollar an hour of run time is fine with me for a solid engine. The way I understand the injection system working is the main oil source is in the bottom end while a slight amount hits the RV as it does need lubrication as well. makes sense, but When you go premix your oil/gas is going straight through the RV, and lubricating it .. where as when using the injection setup that would be absent and hence the need for the injection there. But premix eliminates that so I do not see the need to leave the RV lines connected The engine in my buggy runs this same way with no issues.

To me the huge benefit of going premix is the ability to run quality castor based premix oils that are not recommend for injectors, like maxima 927. Its 100% biodegradable, smokes far less, smells good and doesn't foul plugs. It leaves a film on everything and leaves no carbon behind. I have rebuilt motors that I have ran this stuff in and they look new on the inside.

So after searching and finding all the cons, I cant find a good howto and some of the info seems contradicting. My thought is to remove the teflon shaft that drives the pump to disable it. Then connect the RV injection lines to each other to seal the engine to prevent leaning out the mix.. Then I am left with the main injection and overflow line in the bottom end. I'm thinking to just run those two together like I will do the RV, or just close them off completely any issues there?

When I pulled the old motor apart the center head bolts were all stuck and the center crank was discolored from heat damage. Not sure if the pump was already on its way out or calibrated incorrectly but it seems evident that it was not receiving adequate oil at some point in the past.

1) Pull the pump, and the little plastic drive shaft out of the mag cover.
2) Install a block off plate
3) Plug the nipples in the manifold, and the one on the oil tank that fed the pump.
4) Run 40:1 pre-mix of any API-TC oil you like (40:1 is right from SeaDoo)

NOTE:
5) You must leave the oil tank in the hull, and hooked to the center section of the engine. It feeds the rotary valve gears. You need to leave it about 1/4 filled.

What engine are we talking about. Is it fuel injected? I thought bypass was a no no on fuel injected ones.

its a 96 GSX 787. I get the feeling my post wasn't read, I get it though since its a common question.

I thought by removing the drive shaft to the pump that no block off plate would be needed?

Why does the Rave valve need extra lubrication if its already getting it from the premix, flowing directly on it? Why do I have to run injector oil if I bypass the injection?

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 96 GSX 787. I get the feeling my post wasn't read, I get it though since its a common question.

I thought by removing the drive shaft to the pump that no block off plate would be needed?

If you aren't using the pump... and it's corroded... remove it. But that one is up to you.

Why does the Rave valve need extra lubrication if its already getting it from the premix, flowing directly on it? Why do I have to run injector oil if I bypass the injection?

The rotavry vlave gears are not lubed by the oil in the fuel. They have an oil sump that is fed via the oil tank. (That's why there is 3 hoses on the oil tank) Some people will loop the hoses, and just fill it... but... if you have a leak... you will kill the gears (and the engine) before you figure it out. SO... if you leave the tank in the hull, and about a quart of oil in it... IF... you have a leak, you will see it before it becomes an issue. Also... leaving the tank in... gives you a larger volume of oil to absorb heat.

Just finished going to premix on mine. Im not against the oil injection by any means and its the oil inject system is supposed to be pretty durable, but certain circumstances have left me to go with out it. Anyway, Ive been told that a block off is not a necessity if you pull the plastic gear off the pump and left the pump installed into the intake manifold. Just make sure the o ring on the pump is good so you dont have a vacuum leak. I bought a block off kit just because it cleans up the spot a little better, not that you see it much. As for the rotary valve, it needs an oil feed to keep the rotary shaft bearing and gear lubricated. I dont think the rv shaft gear and bearing get enough oil from the premix. With a new motor and plenty of knowledgeable, experienced people on here saying not to go without it, i dont think I would.
Good luck
Jeff

If you aren't using the pump... and it's corroded... remove it. But that one is up to you.

The rotavry vlave gears are not lubed by the oil in the fuel. They have an oil sump that is fed via the oil tank. (That's why there is 3 hoses on the oil tank) Some people will loop the hoses, and just fill it... but... if you have a leak... you will kill the gears (and the engine) before you figure it out. SO... if you leave the tank in the hull, and about a quart of oil in it... IF... you have a leak, you will see it before it becomes an issue. Also... leaving the tank in... gives you a larger volume of oil to absorb heat.

I must be misunderstanding, which inlet is actually feeding RV gear, the worm gear I think is what you are talking about? I am confused about the two small inlets, one on each intake port where some mixing occurs ?

I was thinking that those two inlets in the intake ports just fed a small amount for the RV plate and such, while the bulk of the of the premix came through the one larger hose on the bottom end, with the other side being a overflow routing back to the oil tank.

From what you are saying it sounds like the larger line is just a pass through line for cooling that worm gear ?

There is one line lower, on the intake side of the engine, below the rv, and is the feed for the rv. There is another line on the other side of the engine(exhaust side), and this is the return line for the rv. These two must remain hooked up. The one single line that goes into the pump is for the pump feed. Then from the pump there is 2 smaller diameter lines that go into brass nipples and are the injector lines, which inject oil and lube the motor while running if the oil injection system were to be used. The pump line should be removed from the pump and the nipple on the oil tank should be capped. The 2 small oil lines that go from the pump to the brass nipples at the rv cover should be removed and the brass nipples capped.
Hope that made sense.
Jeff

Sorry, I was describing removal on a 657 engine. I was thinking that you had the 717 engine. I missed that you have the 787 engine. It's a different setup but I think it's a similar procedure for removal and still uses the the RV lines in just about the same places.
http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Seadoo_OEM/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=46&B=13
If you look at part number 20 in the diagram, it's there twice. One on each side of the motor. The lines that go to these hoses barbs(part number 20) need to remain hooked up.
Sorry again. Hope that helps a bit more
Jeff

I think I am following now, I am going to attach all the oil lines but just remove the drive shaft for the pump, and leave some oil in the tank, so it can constantly cycle through the motor.

Thought I'd try to get answer to question about the large oil line.
Are they special or can I get replacement at home depot. They have clear tubing but rated for 70 degrees. Not sure if compatible??

There are a few grades if Vinyl hose. As long as you buy the "Chem Safe" stuff... it will work fine. (not the FDA food grade hose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back