Brp to exit sport boat market

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
That sucks, but with boat prices and a tanked economy, I don't blame them. Can't makes boats and lose money and keep the doors open.

Sea ray is entering and Yamaha is building a second facility. Apparently the numbers didn't add up for Seadoo. Bummer.

Seadoo jet boat sales make up for 3% of global sales for Brp, in a market that they say is shrinking, especially with the recession, they would be investing a lot of money for little in return, I for one am not happy! but that is the reality if Brp is to survive and stay competitive, may be this will give them the resources they need for other projects!!

Man that really sucks. I hope that is only for a year or two and that they can come back or sell to someone that can pick up where they left at.

I'm guessing that they will sell what is left of 2012 at cost. However it will suck to try finding what you are looking for if you are like me that don't like to settle for whatever is left.

Good thing is that they will continue building parts and honoring warranties. So we should be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame but we live in a consumer driven society and SeaDoo has priced themselves out of the sport boat market.

Lou

Heh, looks like the perfect time to bail on my boat. Who knows what the future will hold for parts and I do not want to deal with stuff that is obsolete. Been there, done that and it sucks!!

going to keep building the pwc's, I don't think parts will be an issue for quite some time other than cosmetic things, which can be hard to get after 5 years anyway's but mechanical parts are for the most part very similar to the pwc's, don't know what that is going to do the price of new units left in inventory, I would imagine it is going to cause prices to drop a bit but there isn't a lot of inventory left in the dealer network, used prices would drop I would think!! Maybe they will start building boats to install their outboards onto!!!!

I think my local dealer has three 2012 210 Challengers. That's $126K in boats(retail)--SITTING. I never see one going down the road by me either. If I'm spending that much coin I'm picking up a used Mastercraft, Malibu or Nautique. I just think the price of these boats are bloated, so is a new ski boat.

Parts--I wouldn't worry, my Speedster is a 99, I still get parts from dealers. When they switched to 4 strokes I never flinched that I wouldn't be able to get parts.

I think my local dealer has three 2012 210 Challengers. That's $126K in boats(retail)--SITTING. I never see one going down the road by me either. If I'm spending that much coin I'm picking up a used Mastercraft, Malibu or Nautique. I just think the price of these boats are bloated, so is a new ski boat.

Parts--I wouldn't worry, my Speedster is a 99, I still get parts from dealers. When they switched to 4 strokes I never flinched that I wouldn't be able to get parts.

Interesting points ... although one thing to remember (former nautique owner here) ... these boats including the mastercraft ... are absolute crap when you get stuck in weather ( the fun models anyways). I realize that all the above mentioned boats are "sunny day" boats but I feel alot safer venturing out into great lakes with a speedster 200 than my old nautique thats for damn sure ... Agreed brp shop here has 2 of the 230 wakes ... had them since spring. The msrp is a bit higher up here I think your well past $70K off the lot ... by the time you get taxes paid and the trailer under the damn thing. Hell of a beauty boat ... but I'm agreeing with LouDoos statement.

Rang my local dealer and told them. They were quite annoyed that customers are telling them this info and not BRP. I feel for anyone looking for a new boat this summer. For those who are content with their current boat the resale value should be better as a result of this.

Hi Guys,

Yep... it sucks... but I saw it coming. They killed the islandia, and the "200" was slated to be gone in 2013 anyway.

The comment from Lou is spot-on. They priced themselves out of the market. My dad was looking at at new boat... and the base 180 was $23k. (I'd say the average price of a seadoo boat right now is $35k) Sure... you wait until winter, and buy the left-overs. But, how long can a company keep doing that. I know my local dealer would sit on a bunch of boats every year. Heck... they had a 2008 Islandia that finally sold last winter. And... at their "spring sale" they had three or four, 2010's still sitting around that went for at least 20% from the sticker. And trust me... there isn't that much margin in those boats. TO be very honest... when a dealer sells a boat... they really don't make any money. By the time they give you a normal discount, a couple life jackets, and your 10 hr service... it's a wash. They are hopping to make $$$ from you on service, and accessories. (they make 35% to 50% on that)

I fear that they are going to do the same dam thing with their PWC. I know people like all the bells and whistles... but the base price for a ski is $9k... that's NUTZ !!!! Though the 90's... we had a bunch of company's making skis... but Polaris, Honda, TigerShark, WetJet all went a way.

Yes... the economy has tanked... but there is more to it than that. My personal life is the perfect example. I spend a BUTT LOAD of cash on toys every year. But, my last new PWC was a 2000 Yamaha. SO... even though I buy new motorcycles, ATV's, cars, and trucks all the time... I won't buy a new PWC because to get one with any measure of performance... I have to buy it with all the electronic crap, and spend $14k.

Seadoo needs to learn from this, and they need to make a 150 hp, carburated 4-stroke, with an open loop cooling system, and with only basic engine gauges. (tach, temp, fuel, oil pressure) Then... price it around $6k.

Looking back at the boat market.......

Seadoo started making boats a few years after they got serious about PWC. But... they had the Explorer (a semi-inflatable) and the 14.5' hull. So... they were just big jetskis. Then they came out with the 16.5' hull... and the 18' hull. So... they were making smaller, reasonable priced boats. In 2000... when they took on the Merc engines... the boats got big, and expensive. Then in 2005... when they got away from Merc... they got even more expensive. But, by that time... the economy was heading the wrong direction.

Anyway... as above... it sucks... but we will survive.

For the guys who are scared to buy a seadoo boat... or ar worried about the one they have... just remember... most of the parts aren't "Seadoo" anyway. Yes... the engine, drive, computer, and other electronics are BRP... but they are leftovers from the skis. So... just like the older boats... parts are out there. Anything else, is generic boat stuff.

Z_monster, I agree...

I bought 2011 c180 se and I'm going to keep it a long as I can...it's my family first boat and we are making so many memories with our kids.

My friend brings his jet ski and my brother and cousin all enjoy riding boat and ski.

I am/was happy with my 2009 c180SE as well. Just got the factory defect poor sealing of the ride plate (momentary cavitation on WOT)fixed under warranty last fall. BRP seems have to gotten over the supercharger washer problem by 2008-9. Also I have learned to handle it in close quarters at low speeds. Now have 75 hours on it with a couple more weeks on the Suswap before end of October. Very happy with it but will probably be looking for a larger say 21 footer sometime in the future. I expect the prices of new and used PRP boats will drop. I can hear the salesman now when I try to trade it " I can't get much for an obsolete boat"

This is the samething that happened with GM when the stopped Olds and Ponitac. The left over new ones went down in price and the used did for the little bit, but when people find out you can still gets parts you will be ok. I don't see an issues but I do see non seadoo dealers making money off people getting scared and dumping thier boats. I have 1998 Sportster 1800 and I can get parts so I don't see an issue with the newer models.

This sucks, was going to buy a 255hp speedster this year at the boat show. Would consider a 2012 but since they are going to be discontinued their value will most likely drop significantly as no one will want a boat that has been discontinued and hard to get parts for.
What sucks even more is that I am not aware of any company that makes a boat like the speedster. I want a small boat this is lots of fun and can pull skiers, wake boards etc, and does not use a ridiculous amount of fuel.

This sucks, was going to buy a 255hp speedster this year at the boat show. Would consider a 2012 but since they are going to be discontinued their value will most likely drop significantly as no one will want a boat that has been discontinued and hard to get parts for.
What sucks even more is that I am not aware of any company that makes a boat like the speedster. I want a small boat this is lots of fun and can pull skiers, wake boards etc, and does not use a ridiculous amount of fuel.

The way I see it is if someone wants one they'll need to look to the secondhand market now. Brp are handing out 5 year warranties on current stock being sold which means we will have support for at least this period on stuff like upholstery etc and indefinite support on engine gear that crosses over with the ski's.

In Australia these things are as rare as hens teeth anyway so whoever wants one will have to be patient anyway and wait for a second hand one to come up.

They now have a five year warranty?? I wish my POS came with more than 1 year, it would save me a bunch of money!!!

You know guys they did price themselves out of the market, Dr. Honda is right, if you go to the Bert's mega mall website they have a non sc 2012 speedster 150 for 20k, YOU CAN GET A YAMAHA SX190 for 23k..... I paid $16.9k for mine which was high for me, considering I can get a pretty fast sx190 for a little more..

I love my speedster, I just made my first payment, it sucks this happened, I was so proud having the seadoo logo and taking it out.. I think they will drop in price, but not by much..

P.s. I have a funny feeling that they will probably bring back the speedster line.. looks to be the cheapest one for them to make, and can probably make them now that they moved their assembly plant in Mexico...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back