bottom voltage regulator questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

daryl661

I have a 00 Islandia with the merc 240 m2. I had a loss of power on the lake. Battery was not charging. I remember seeing about engine fuses in the manual. Found the bottom voltage regulator fuse blown. Tried another and it blew. Is regulator bad? Is there something else I should be looking at?
Thx

well... you have 2 regulators. I would unplug one, and see if you get any power. Then switch. One may be OK, and one may be shorted. OR... you may find that both are bad, and you have been riding around on one reg for a while.

BUT... I would also check the stator coils. (unplug them from the regs, and check with a meter)

I can test the voltage regulator, even though it's blowing fuses? What should the regulator and stator coils read at?
Sea-Doo said it could be anywhere from $800 to $1200. I've worked on cars for years and think I maybe able to figure it out, with some help from you of course. Thx for the quick response!

Don't pay a dealer. They will just throw parts at it, until it's fixed... and charge you $120 /hr labor while doing so. Besides... Seadoo dealers aren't supposed to work on Merc engines anymore. They can't get parts directly. SO... they will be buying them, and charging you full retail. (or more)

When does the fuse blow? When you turn on the key, or when you start the engine?

OK.... I just double checked things....

1) Disconnect the stator at the regulators. Between the yellow wires, you should see almost no resistance. BUT, there shouldn't be continuity to ground.

2) Don't bother switching between the regulators as I said above. Each regulator is on it's own circuit.

3) Look around the regs, and make sure that there aren't any fray wires, grounding out.

4) Make sure the smaller red wires, going to the starter solenoid are all OK. (not broken, and shorting) There's a few.

Basically, to blow that fuse continually... there has to be a short. That can be a bad regulator, or a physically shorted wire. BUT... since the system has 2 sides... you should still get power off the side with the good fuse. SO... I think we are chasing 2 issues.

Lets start with making sure the stator is good, and then look for any physical wire issues. between the regulators, and battery.

Hey Dr.Honda. It's been a few but I just got back into this boat. I checked all the wires and connections, everything looks good. Unplugged yellow wires from stator to regulators. There is very low resistance and no continuity to ground. I tried a fuse again and it pops as soon as I turn battery switch on. Is there a way to test that regulator or do you think something else is going on?

At this point... I would get a new reg, and try it.
I was thinking the same thing. I just wanted your professional opinion. I'm going to do the 2nd battery like you did aslo. I found the regulator on boats.net, do you know of a better dealer? Thx for getting back to me, on this old thread!

Not a prob.

I buy from Boats.net since our sponsor doesn't carry the Merc parts. They have good prices, and normally ship quickly.

Not a prob.

I buy from Boats.net since our sponsor doesn't carry the Merc parts. They have good prices, and normally ship quickly.
Regulator was the problem. I really appreciate your guidance. You are very knowledgeable with this vessel. I'm glad I came across this site. I did the second battery also.
One last question. My lanyard broke and I was looking to buy a new one. I believe I'm looking for a non dess. Thx again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back