Boat Won't Start - Instrument Panel Won't Power Up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadabob

We were out for a good long ride in our 2007 180 Challenger SE yesterday. On the way back I noticed some strange things on the instrument pannel as we approached the marina to gas up. The speedometer stopped registering (which I've seen on occassion before) and the depth finder started jumping all over the place giving strange readings (something new).

After gassing up, the boat started fine, we started out of the marina and as I nufged the throttle slightly it just dies. The instrument pannel is showing no power, and the start button doesn't respond. We get a tow back to the dock. Thinking it might be the battery, I haul the battery out and take it to a garage for a re-charge. Re-install the battery later and still no power to the instrument pannel, and the start button doesn't respond. The blower and bilge pump work, but nothing in the electronic instrument pannel.

I check the fuses and out of caution change the 1 amp one just to rule that out as a possible cause, but still nothing. No instruments powering, and no start.

Anyone have any ideas about what I might look at to solve this latest problem?

Thanks in advance.

I would start with checking all the connections, esp the one from the solenoid to the main ebox. If it cranks when you jump the solenoid then it's the ground cable is not your problem.

UPDATE.....Just got back and managed to get her going ......I found 2 more fuses...further down beside the engine , closer to the bilge, one 20, the other 15 amp....both blown and both had a fair bit of corrosion on the contacts. Replaced them both and switched on battery and presto the pannel lights up....put the key on and push start and she fires up.

We just had the boat out for an hour and a half with no further problems....knock on wood. It still concerns me that 3 fuses were blown, including the 1amp one that I replaced yesterday. Could this have just been some kinda fluke (somehow I doubt this)? Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem?

And thanks so much for the replies this morning.

We were out for a good long ride in our 2007 180 Challenger SE yesterday. On the way back I noticed some strange things on the instrument pannel as we approached the marina to gas up. The speedometer stopped registering (which I've seen on occassion before) and the depth finder started jumping all over the place giving strange readings (something new).

After gassing up, the boat started fine, we started out of the marina and as I nufged the throttle slightly it just dies. The instrument pannel is showing no power, and the start button doesn't respond. We get a tow back to the dock. Thinking it might be the battery, I haul the battery out and take it to a garage for a re-charge. Re-install the battery later and still no power to the instrument pannel, and the start button doesn't respond. The blower and bilge pump work, but nothing in the electronic instrument pannel.

I check the fuses and out of caution change the 1 amp one just to rule that out as a possible cause, but still nothing. No instruments powering, and no start.

Anyone have any ideas about what I might look at to solve this latest problem?

Thanks in advance.

IMO your gonna be fine now. I bet that the bad connection/corrosion caused higher amp draw through the circuit which might have been too much for the fuses. Keep the connections clean and you will draw less amperage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back